News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fairly new owner

Started by Newsman, October 28, 2016, 08:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newsman

Hi all

I became a Tiger owner in March this year I have wanted one for ages and I blew some of my redundancy pay on one.

Since I have had it I have replaced the front discs rebuilt the front callipers fitted a Motobatt battery changed the Plugs I had the chain and sprockets replaced  as I was not confident of lifting it up (No centerstand) My bike was originally sold in Germany and has been re imported its done 76k Kilometres and its registered in this country as a 97 bike, does anyone know if the speedo drive in the front wheel is the same for MPH as for KPH I would like to change the speedo as I cannot see the stick on conversion at night.

The best thing I have done is the lower chain rubbing block there was nothing left of mine just a blade rubbing against the chain I hope it has not done too much damage to the chain but what a difference it made and I only knew about it by reading posts on here in all the bikes I have owned I dont think 15 quid has made so much difference!

Nick Calne

Hello and welcome to the club!

We'll need aome photo's of this bike of yours!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

JayDub

:ww I had the same issue and changed that and the rubbing strip, I didn't realise how noisy it had been, especially for 3 hrs on the motorway  :icon_eek:

nickjtc

:ww +1 from o'er the sea. Used to live in Harlow, though.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

:ww  :occasion14

Nice introduction and since it's straight in with questions I'll leave your post here.

The original speedos are dual scale, mph on the outer and kph on the inner. The odo / trip is in miles. I couldn't swear that EU ones are also like that but I have an export and its like that. That means, the bike has more likely done 76k miles  :icon_redface: I know, dour Scotsmen  :m Wouldn't worry about it, my import has done 95k miles and it still pulls my arms off.

Is the sticker on the glass or on the internal disc?  Have a look at "How to repair a speedo" for more help and come back if that doesn't answer your question.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on October 29, 2016, 12:41:29 AMWouldn't worry about it, my import has done 95k miles and it still pulls my arms off.
I can vouch for that! I've tried to catch him  :icon_eek:

GavD

Welcome,

take a look at these links, it indicates the drive is the same, it's just the clock that changes.

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator.php?block_01=&block_02=100058902-1-2&block_03=23773
http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator.php?block_01=&block_02=100058931-0-2&block_03=23773

I didn't really understand what Sin was trying to get at above, but that wouldn't be the first time!! Sin and Mustang are the fonts of all steamer knowledge on here, and are incredibly helpful to boot. :notworthy

edit: Just re-read it all, and the lightbulb has come on. I've got a KPH clock in the garage, I'll take a look at it when i get the chance to see if the odo is in miles or km.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Newsman

I will get some Pics sorted out the speedo only has KPH on it and at the speed the odeomiter goes up I think it must be in KM's, the conversion is a disk stuck on the outside.

GavD

Ok, so when I bought a new set of clocks during Triumphs part sell, it came as a KPH one, and I chopped my MPH one into it. This is the one I took out. It indicates the ODO/Trip is Kph.

Newsman

That looks the same as mine ...apart form the MPH sticker on the outside  :icon_lol:

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: GavD on October 29, 2016, 02:54:31 PM
Ok, so when I bought a new set of clocks during Triumphs part sell, it came as a KPH one, and I chopped my MPH one into it. This is the one I took out. It indicates the ODO/Trip is Kph.

New one on me  :icon_redface: but I've been too lazy to trawl the parts lists to check.

It'd probably be easiest to get a used one and adjust it to the calculated mileage. I'll get a photo when I get home.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

ghulst

Quote from: GavD on October 29, 2016, 02:54:31 PM
That looks like a very fancy new clock. If ever you decide to throw it away, you can throw it this way. ;)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

GavD

All yours ghulst,

PM me your address and I'll get it sent when I get the chance. Only thing is it doesn't have the little thumbwheel on the end of the trip reset shaft as the one on my MPH clock fell apart when I changed it so I needed the one off the KPH clock.

Newsman

Hi GavD where in the IOW are you I used to live in Ryde