News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

My fuel tap

Started by bemusedinsojo, November 11, 2016, 05:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bemusedinsojo

This is my fuel tap. Is it normal for the smaller tube to be collapsed like that? Also, something is rolling around in the tank. Does anyone have an idea of what it is? I can't seem to catch sight of it. Thanks for your replies.

Sin_Tiger

There shouldn't be anything rolling around in the tank, get it out and see what it is. Also a good time to give the tank A GOOD clean out, don't forget to check the drain pipe.

It's not unusual for the nylon strainers to collapse. You can clean them and put them back but in my experience, after they've collapsed once, they do it again much more readily. So, two choices, put new strainers on, not sure if you can still get genuine or you might find other suppliers or my personal recommended method would be to bin them and fit a good quality external filter between the tap and the carbs. If you go with the external filter, removing the final filter hidden in the hose just before the T piece into the carbs is similarly recommended.

Search on the subject in the Steamer section for plenty of details on this subject.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

London_Phil

Agree with Sin on that. Had two rides last year out to a Rally no probs, back from Rally, died after 20 miles, fuel starvation. Pulled both screens off and haven't looked back. Of course our petrol with added extras causes carb problems, but at least now the fuel gets a far as the carbs...
I to had something in my tank, but I knew it was  a tank cap mounting bolt, as I dropped it in myself.

Regards

Phil

bemusedinsojo

Thanks gents. I'll remove the strainers. Speaking of the one between the carbs, is it in the fuel line itself or is it supposed to be external? I'm afraid that is a question with an exquisite lack of knowkedge but I am not the sharpest pencil in the box.
Thanks,
Lynn

Sin_Tiger

It's a fair question, it's stuffed inside the actual hose, unless it's already been removed.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on November 11, 2016, 11:47:57 PM
It's a fair question, it's stuffed inside the actual hose, unless it's already been removed.
It is gone. I just checked. Now to banish the other strainers.
Thanks.
PS how can I tell what size the carb jets are?

London_Phil

The jets should have the number stamped on them, either the top, or on the side, just below the slot for the screwdriver.

Geoff W

I found a data security chip rattling about in mine. It was glued in about 15 years ago and forgotten about, I replaced it on the underside of the tank.
I replaced my internal filters with an external one, the only problem I find is that if I run dry and have to switch to reserve, the bike dies and takes ages to get going again, with lots of spluttering and dying from fuel starvation. Even after I fill the tank it is still unhappy for quite a few miles. But I have no problem if I switch to reserve before I need to, only if the bike starts uttering on main supply. Not sure what is happening here.  Any ideas anyone?
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: Geoff W on November 12, 2016, 08:37:29 PM

I replaced my internal filters with an external one, the only problem I find is that if I run dry and have to switch to reserve, the bike dies and takes ages to get going again, with lots of spluttering and dying from fuel starvation. Even after I fill the tank it is still unhappy for quite a few miles. But I have no problem if I switch to reserve before I need to, only if the bike starts uttering on main supply. Not sure what is happening here.  Any ideas anyone?

I don't know but a good question in case I run into the same problem.

Sin_Tiger

Sounds like an airlock Geoff. Try repositioning your filter so that the inlet faces directly up, the trapped air should clear easier that way. I've find that some filters are better than others, perhaps a different type or make.

Wonder if the security chip still works after years in petrol  :icon_scratch:

tonytiger

Geoff take the tap of and try bowing compressed air through it [open and reserve settings] might work might not.

JayDub

Quote from: Geoff W on November 12, 2016, 08:37:29 PM
I found a data security chip rattling about in mine. It was glued in about 15 years ago and forgotten about, I replaced it on the underside of the tank.
I had the exact problem on a different bike once, in that case it turned out to be a flake of paint settled on the reserve outlet  :nod

kenny junior

mine was like that. I had an air lock on reserve so the bike would splutter and cut out on reserve. When i took it off to push it back out i did flick petrol in my eye so please be careful of that and not do it right in front of your face like i did

London_Phil

Please ensure your airlock is treated by a Triumph trained mechanic.........That's one in the eye for home mechanics eh......

Sorry    :augie

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: London_Phil on November 14, 2016, 05:08:25 PM
Please ensure your airlock is treated by a Triumph trained mechanic.........That's one in the eye for home mechanics eh......

Sorry    :augie
:rfl