News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

132 main jet.

Started by bemusedinsojo, December 09, 2016, 10:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bemusedinsojo

Hello Steamer riders/mechanics,
I have 132 main jets. I can't find a size on the pilot jets-no stamps anywhere on them. Mods are k/n filter and aftermarket cans. Somebody school me on the size-Why so big? From what I've searched out on this forum, 40/105 is the magical combination. Thoughts?

Thanks all for replies,
Lynn

bemusedinsojo

Thanks Phil. My eyes are opened.

Beernard

Gday mate. Glad to see you are playing around with your bike. As well as my 93 tiger, I have a fairly full-noise 92 Trophy. It has modified intake with K & N filter and Aussie-made Staintune mufflers. Sounds grouse, BTW!
However, my point is that it runs nice on 130 mains (sea-level). Therefore, I imagine 132 jets on a Tiger are worthy of investigation.
As you can see, there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum and a pile of excellent information to be had.
Lucky us!!
Ripper, woke up again.

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: Beernard on December 10, 2016, 11:52:51 AM
Gday mate. Glad to see you are playing around with your bike. As well as my 93 tiger, I have a fairly full-noise 92 Trophy. It has modified intake with K & N filter and Aussie-made Staintune mufflers. Sounds grouse, BTW!
However, my point is that it runs nice on 130 mains (sea-level). Therefore, I imagine 132 jets on a Tiger are worthy of investigation.
As you can see, there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum and a pile of excellent information to be had.
Lucky us!!

:wheel

threepot

132 is bigger than STD on the Daytona?My Steamer's fitted with 42.5/105. Runs nice. Been tempted to go 'up' on the mains? But will I burn more fuel,for more 'top end' ,which I don't really need? Or what other difference??
I've gained better performance on the road by going 'up' a tooth on the front sprocket :thumbsup
95 Super111
96 Tiger

fishnbiker

On my 95 Steamer, I used 130's on my K&N airbox with Mikuni's for 10 years before finding some Keihins in newer shape. They took 122.5's to do the same job. Over 90,000 km since the start of this project. All this to make easier maintenance. I can remove & re-install the whole airbox in under 3 minutes now. No seat, tank, fairing removals

Trial & error pointed out the smallest jet that works at full throttle higher rev's. Suggest playing with that to get best trade-off between performance & economy.

I originally had 53mpg UK gallon, with the new jetting I get 47 mpg, but a much larger top end with a minor drop in torque below 4000rpm. Still get 300~340 km before reserve. Not enough to be a problem.

I also did the Mustang "Sprocketectomy" to allow easier maintenance. I can now change between a 17 & 19 tooth sprocket in 15 minutes, depending on my riding style needs.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: fishnbiker on December 14, 2016, 08:04:33 AM
On my 95 Steamer, I used 130's on my K&N airbox with Mikuni's for 10 years before finding some Keihins in newer shape. They took 122.5's to do the same job. Over 90,000 km since the start of this project. All this to make easier maintenance. I can remove & re-install the whole airbox in under 3 minutes now. No seat, tank, fairing removals
That is the coolest airbox mod I've seen so far. Is it fastened to the tank? I'm thinking about pods, much to most evidence suggesting otherwise.

My Steamer has the Keihins. You indicted a process of trial and error to find the best combination. In my mind that means having a few main and pilot jets on hand to try. Correct? It is not obvious to me, so sorry if it is a dumb question. Which sizes should I try?

threepot

Quote from: bemusedinsojo on December 14, 2016, 06:35:04 PM
That is the coolest airbox mod I've seen so far. Is it fastened to the tank? I'm thinking about pods, much to most evidence suggesting otherwise.

My Steamer has the Keihins. You indicted a process of trial and error to find the best combination. In my mind that means having a few main and pilot jets on hand to try. Correct? It is not obvious to me, so sorry if it is a dumb question. Which sizes should I try?
You could join www.triumphrat.com
Lots of info on there as londonphil pointed out. Or Hinckley Triumph Owners Club on Facebook? Seen a lot of bikes fitted with pods on there?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

KamikazeKunze

I'm having pods fitted to my Steamer now. I should have it back in my hands tomorrow. The shop I used rebuilt the carbs, rejetted and dyno'd the old girl. I'll report back on how she is running with them.

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: KamikazeKunze on December 29, 2016, 06:45:00 PM
I'm having pods fitted to my Steamer now. I should have it back in my hands tomorrow. The shop I used rebuilt the carbs, rejetted and dyno'd the old girl. I'll report back on how she is running with them.

:new_popcornsmiley

KamikazeKunze

I suppose for the general edification of folks around here I'll obtain what main jets they used and what the HP/Torque figures are.
I'm about a mile in altitude (1609.34 Meters) here in Denver, so it should be interesting to see the results.  :thumbsup

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: KamikazeKunze on December 29, 2016, 06:56:52 PM
I suppose for the general edification of folks around here I'll obtain what main jets they used and what the HP/Torque figures are.
I'm about a mile in altitude (1609.34 Meters) here in Denver, so it should be interesting to see the results.  :thumbsup
I am waiting like a kid a Christmas. Mains, pilots, sage burning, etc.

KamikazeKunze

Quote from: bemusedinsojo on December 29, 2016, 07:04:21 PM
I am waiting like a kid a Christmas. Mains, pilots, sage burning, etc.

To tantalize a bit more......They are done with it but I can't pick it up until tomorrow morning with my work schedule.
They said for having 61K miles on it that it really runs now. I gained 6hp over what it was when I brought it in. :wings
I'll take a pic of the dyno chart and get the specifics on how they jetted it.