News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Remind me please!

Started by Nick Calne, December 12, 2016, 11:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

I'm tired and a little rusty with the tools...and possibly myemory is going. Just how do you get the rubber chain guide thing off?  Is it swingarm off to get it off/ on?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

nickjtc

Mustang has a procedure outlined, somewhere in the archives. You do not need to take the swingarm off, just yank out the old one and then deftly push the new one in.

The procedure is listed in the Steamer 'How To' index, but appears to be lost in the ether
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Nick Calne

Thanks Nick I'll check it out.

Mustang

JayDub

I did mine a few months back Nick, The trouble was that the new one is a harder rubber and no way would it go in - even with plenty of chain oil as a lube, so I still ended up having to pull the swing-arm out... but its not too difficult.  :thumbsup

Nick Calne

Thank you Mustang, Jaydub. I'll get back into the good fight later today.

Nick Calne

Grrr. Bloody silly design. Try again tomorrow.

Sin_Tiger

Bucket of really hot water.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

Nick Calne

I have had an exciting time with this and I have some observations.

If you try and insert it as per Mustang's photos it can be a little difficult as the clearance is tight. It may vary bike to bike on account of manufacturing tolerance, or just that these bikes are old and there is no guarantee that the same washers, bearing and suchlike are all in the right place.  :icon_eek:  (Refer to manual if in doubt as this is important to get right!) It's just difficult to do this on my particular bike with everything as standard.... So....

If you push the new block in at 45 degrees from the vertical and twist it in it is easier than hammering it in straight. (Think dropping it in from 2 O'clock then twisting to 3 O'clock)

If take you out the swingarm bolt out, with the bike on the centrestand, then this is dead easy - as you can wiggle it all around to get the block in without any fuss. No hammering or anything. In using fingers only, as the actress said to the bishop.  No need to take the swingarm off, just the bolt out, but do bear in mind that there is a bobbin between the bearings that will drop out if you take the bolt out. Everything else should stay in place.  :wings

A big dob of grease helps too.

ssevy

I was a couple hours of pounding it into place with a hard rubber deadblow hammer using a 1/2" extension as my driver. It had to be in just exactly the correct alignment to finally seat into place. Of all of the jobs I have done to my Tiger, this was the most frustrating. Will try your method next time.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: Nick Calne on December 18, 2016, 06:37:49 PM

In using fingers only, as the actress said to the bishop. 
A big dob of grease helps too.

Oh man! Fingers only! Ha!