News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Using starter to check valves

Started by bemusedinsojo, January 09, 2017, 10:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bemusedinsojo

Hello Steamer lovers,

I am going to check valve clearances. I've got a bit of a spine injury so raising it on the center stand is out. I don't want to take off the crank cover to turn the engine because I'm not sure if I will be able to crank the engine by hand. So I thought if I was very careful, I could use the starter to gradually bump the cam off the shims so as not to have the lobe hit the valve tool legs (I have the old kind that came with the bike). The battery is fully charged, and is kept that way via tender.

Is this a bad idea?

Thanks for all ideas and replies.

threepot

Are you able to take the spark plugs out? Should turn over easier then.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

I definitely would not try that, firstly, the sprag clutch would take a bashing and as you probably know that can be a bit of a weak point on our steamers.  Secondly, its a bit hit and miss as the cam lobes need to be in the correct position to get an accurate measurement.  with the spark plugs out, its really not difficult to turn the motor by the crankshaft - if you can't manage it, then you should be taking things easy  :nono

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: threepot on January 09, 2017, 10:29:10 PM
Are you able to take the spark plugs out? Should turn over easier then.
Yes they are out. I'm not a total weakling but pretty close. I don't want to exacerbate an already bad situation.

threepot

I agree with JD. The starter will take a bit of abuse that way? Is there anyone who could assist you?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

Quote from: bemusedinsojo on January 09, 2017, 10:41:30 PM
Yes they are out. I'm not a total weakling but pretty close. I don't want to exacerbate an already bad situation.

Yes, but if you use the starter and get it wrong all kinds of mechanical travails can result  :icon_wink:

Is there anyone you can ask to help you? As long as they know the diff between clockwise and counter clockwise they don't need to 'know' what they are doing.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

It'll turn with two fingers on a standard rachet handle with the plugs out. Can't get somebody to come over to help you with the side stand, make it a lot safer.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

bemusedinsojo

I could ask for help. However, I am trying to be self-sufficient so I try to do it myself first. If I can't I'll ask my friend to help. My wife says I'm stubborn but damn I can't just lay around all day having others do my work. Ha ha my self-esteem is at risk.

Thanks for the warnings and advise gents. Sin said cranking it with a wrench ain't too hard so I will do that.

BTW I have more fear of a sprag than the boogie man. And I don't know what a sprag is.

nickjtc

Quote from: bemusedinsojo on January 10, 2017, 12:30:18 AM
BTW I have more fear of a sprag than the boogie man. And I don't know what a sprag is.

:*&* :*&* Good for you. Be afraid, be very afraid, of sprag issues.  :icon_lol:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

ssevy

Using a longer handled ratchet will make it easier.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Mustang

Quote from: bemusedinsojo on January 09, 2017, 10:18:34 PM
Hello Steamer lovers,

I am going to check valve clearances. I've got a bit of a spine injury so raising it on the center stand is out. I don't want to take off the crank cover to turn the engine because I'm not sure if I will be able to crank the engine by hand. So I thought if I was very careful, I could use the starter to gradually bump the cam off the shims so as not to have the lobe hit the valve tool legs (I have the old kind that came with the bike). The battery is fully charged, and is kept that way via tender.

Is this a bad idea?

Thanks for all ideas and replies.

:cp

extremely BAD IDEA................WHEN THE CAMLOBE COMES AROUND AND YOU CAN'T STOP THE ROTATION IT FORCES THE LEG OFF THE BUCKET .
and it makes a pretty sickening sound as the valve snaps hard against the seat . :icon_redface:  :augie

:new_popcornsmiley

Sin_Tiger

:iagree horrible sound, I think is rather listen to my own arm breaking  :bug_eye
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on January 10, 2017, 01:34:33 PM
:iagree horrible sound, I think is rather listen to my own arm breaking  :bug_eye
Oh dear god!

bemusedinsojo

extremely BAD IDEA................WHEN THE CAMLOBE COMES AROUND AND YOU CAN'T STOP THE ROTATION IT FORCES THE LEG OFF THE BUCKET .
and it makes a pretty sickening sound as the valve snaps hard against the seat . :icon_redface:  :augie

:new_popcornsmiley
[/quote]

:^_^ I am now terrified to do this.

threepot

Do it the conventional way. Plugs out,socket on the crank nut,turn cclockwise until the lobes are 90' to the bucket,then measure the gap. Then hope their all in spec! :icon_wink: Plenty of help here,or search
95 Super111
96 Tiger