News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Headbolts

Started by LeighSA, February 01, 2017, 11:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeighSA

Hi all, just in the process of dismantling my spare Tiger 900 engine, no real dramas, I have a engine stand that allows me to rotate the engine 360 degrees, so that's the easy bit. Get to the cylinder head bolt and those lovely Torx head style bolt are really tight, I think I'll be able to get them out, eventually!! My main question is, are there any other option instead of those Torx head bolts?
A long shot I know but it's worth asking.
Thanks in advance

ssevy

Head bolts are usually made of a particular type of steel for the particular application. Years ago I rebuilt a few Honda car engines, and those head bolts were designed to stretch under torque, so you always replaced them with new ones when rebuilding. When I replaced the head gasket on my 1958 Farmall Cub tractor a few years ago, Case wanted big bucks for the head bolts, so I went to my local Fastenal store and bought a bag of grade 8's instead.
I suspect you would like conventional hex heads instead of torx? If you knew the specs of the factory bolts you might find a replacement, but if you've just mangled a few bolt heads, I'd replace them with factory bolts and buy a better quality Torx socket. Of course a big Allen will also work in a Torx bolt head, but I always am concerned with these not having as much purchase as the Torx bit?
Maybe someone else will chime in soon?
Good luck!
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Sparky

ARP might have something.

www.arp-bolts.com
1998 Steamer. Sold, replaced with a 2016 Africa Twin.
1982 Honda FT 500 Ascot,  1983 Honda VT 500 Ascot

threepot

Just removed ones on my Daytona. Not sure about alternatives,but as already said..USE A QUALITY TORX BIT!!!!
I managed to 'slacken' 7 with an unbranded bit. But it failed removing the last bolt,damaging the Torx profile! I then purchased a quality 'branded' bit,and,luckily,managed to slacken it. Also,use a good breaker bar or similar,for good leverage,so you break the tension 'first' attempt! 1/2 drive.
This applies to the camshaft cap bolts!![the torx bit I'm refering to,not the 1/2" drive,thats a bit of overkill] I've got butter in the kitchen harder than those! :icon_wink:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

I also find using a T bar handle helps keep the but straight and evenly loaded.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

bemusedinsojo

I've got butter in the kitchen harder than those! :icon_wink:
[/quote]
:rfl

LeighSA

Thanks for all that info, just today managed to get them all out, yep had a quality Torx bit and still twisted a bit!!
Cylinder head looks OK at a quick glance, lots of crud around the sleeves, but I,ll keep going with the rest of the strip down

nickjtc

Interesting. Let us know what happens.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"