News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Replace throttle cable

Started by bemusedinsojo, February 06, 2017, 12:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bemusedinsojo

Good day all,
I'm replacing my throttle cable because it is starting to fray. But I've never done it. Where should I start? The cable is off the carbs. When I look at the throttle I am unsure where to start. For some reason I have a mental block when it comes to the throttle.

Thanks for the help.

aeronca

be very careful on the adjustment. it can screw up the choke.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

ssevy

I have not replaced the throttle cable on my Tiger, but I did have to do it on my Legend.
Not sure if the replacement cable for the Tiger is the same, but in the case of the Legend, Triumph cut the costs of producing the replacement part by cheapening the carb end of the cable, which originally was two pieces, the adjustable piece floating so as to allow it to turn for adjustment without turning the cable sheath. This allowed for adjustment without detaching the grip end.
The new. cheaper part has the threads right on the cable sheath, which means you have to disconnect the grip end, adjust the carb end, then reconnect to check it, and maybe do it over several times until you get it right. Unless you have tiny hands and are a contortionist, this usually means removal of the carbs each time to accomplish this.
If I had to do it over again, I would take the old frayed cable off and send it out to one of the places that install a new cable in my existing sheath, so as to retain the older two piece adjustment end design. I believe Motion Pro offers a re-cable service?
Now, if the original Tiger cable which you have was not the convenient two piece design that was on my Legend, then the point is, of course, moot.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

threepot

I've only taken off and replaced with carbs off? Should be able fit otherwise,if a bit fiddly? The hardest part is probably getting the nipple into the the mechanism that opens the butterflies. Take the tank off.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

bemusedinsojo

Sorry the carbs are off. It has the the kind that attaches directly to the carbs ssevy but someone else may be helped so not moot. I'm worried about how to get it off at the throttle. I don't want to break anything.

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: threepot on February 06, 2017, 01:47:02 PM
I've only taken off and replaced with carbs off? Should be able fit otherwise,if a bit fiddly? The hardest part is probably getting the nipple into the the mechanism that opens the butterflies. Take the tank off.
When you said nipple I forgot what I was doing for a minute.  :wings

threepot

Just 2 screws holding assembly to handlebar. Cable connects inside.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Bixxer Bob

It's a damn sight easier to do the carb end if you disconnect it at the throttle end first.

Slacken off the cable adjuster at the throttle end to give you some freee play, undo the screws holding the throttle grip together,  take a photos of how it all goes before taking it apart. then release the cable.  That will give you loads of slack at the carb end making it much easier to work with.  Again, take photos.

Assembly is the reverse.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Danwarb

Quote from: bemusedinsojo on February 06, 2017, 12:47:52 AM
Good day all,
I'm replacing my throttle cable because it is starting to fray. But I've never done it. Where should I start? The cable is off the carbs. When I look at the throttle I am unsure where to start. For some reason I have a mental block when it comes to the throttle.

Thanks for the help.

Hi, I'm just about to replace mine with the new 'nipple only' ended version.

Any tips?

How long did it take you?

Cheers,

Dan
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

ssevy

Quote from: Danwarb on February 12, 2017, 07:01:31 PM

Any tips?

Cheers,

Dan

Tips:

1- Patience is required. Don't start this job when you have a limited amount of time to complete it.

2- Some Never Seize on the new cable end threads will help.

3- Be sure it is adjusted properly so that turning the handle bars to the stops doesn't affect the throttle.

4- When you install new grips someday, don't twist overly hard on the throttle tube to adjust the grip position with the cable pinned at full throttle, or you'll be doing this job again. Don't ask me how I know :icon_redface:
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: Danwarb on February 12, 2017, 07:01:31 PM

Any tips?

Cheers,

Dan

Hey Dan,
Thanks for asking. I haven't done it yet. But soon. Good luck on your throttle job.

Danwarb

Quote from: ssevy on February 12, 2017, 10:18:06 PM
Tips:

1- Patience is required. Don't start this job when you have a limited amount of time to complete it.

2- Some Never Seize on the new cable end threads will help.

3- Be sure it is adjusted properly so that turning the handle bars to the stops doesn't affect the throttle.

4- When you install new grips someday, don't twist overly hard on the throttle tube to adjust the grip position with the cable pinned at full throttle, or you'll be doing this job again. Don't ask me how I know :icon_redface:

Amazing,

Thanks Ssevy,

I've given my self a 3 hour window to do this ! If not I'll be working on it during the night !

:*&*
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Danwarb

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for all your tips.

It took me 3 hours.

What took time was taking the fairing, air box, suspension canister off, un-doing the carb callipers and sliding the carbs out enough.

Tips:
1) First attache the carb end then when assembling the throttle end hold the casing shut by hand and try turning the throttle as you need to make sure you get the 'max throttle stop' on the right side of the stop inside the casing before then screwing it back together.

2) Ensure you feed the cable to neatly follow all other cables and pass it through the guides at the top of the forks other wise the cable snags and you need to undo the throttle end, feed it through the right spaces then re-attached it.

I've got the throttle set with virtually no play so it's really responsive yet it doesn't seem to be activated when turning.

Happy days.

:thumbsup
Black 1995 Tiger 885

bemusedinsojo

I finally installed my throttle cable. Since everything was already apart (I was doing my valves) it was freaking easy. All the tips and trick y'all posted helped. Patience is the key. And now I'm not a throttle virgin.

threepot

Make sure the adjuster isn't too far up on the carbs,and you can create a bit of 'slack' at the twistgrip?
95 Super111
96 Tiger