News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Technical - 98' Tiger purchased yesterday!

Started by GavD, February 12, 2017, 10:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooverscon

Haha it's Green. The VIN number matches the bike color as well! I want to get the bike repaired in Vermont then ride it home (Ohio).. Anyone know of any local shops!?

Hooverscon

Hooverscon

Will this picture help to determine in the how difficult the Sprag Clutch will be? Does it have an alternator cover? Or will the cases need to be split?

threepot

The alternator is the round thing,top left of the oil level stick thingy. And it looks like it has a cover! The cover the guys are referring to is on the otherside (right) :icon_wink:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Hooverscon

If you were a betting man... Do you think the right side will have an alternator cover? Or are you thinking it will be the 13 hours repair job?

GavD

Here's a couple of videos about a sprag clutch change on the early models with the access plate.

Without the access plate the engine must come out and the crankcases split to change it.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: London_Phil on February 14, 2017, 05:19:41 PM
As long as its not the red of the dying embers of someones soul... given to the great Carb deity as sacrifice......

I don't like people trying to steal my weird  :tin hat you know  :bad
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

John Stenhouse

Don't worry your still weird.............oh sorry, wired, no thats bluetoothed :icon_scratch:
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Hooverscon

Drumroll.... What's the word? Engine in or out for Sprag?

threepot

Out. You've got the later engine. Ive only done the Sprag on the earlier type,on a Trident,with the inspection plate,which for some unknown reason,Triumph did away with??
You can see he oblong plate above the clutch cover,which gave  you access to the sprag.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Hooverscon

Mustang

Quote from: Hooverscon on February 14, 2017, 07:07:37 PM
Haha it's Green. The VIN number matches the bike color as well! I want to get the bike repaired in Vermont then ride it home (Ohio).. Anyone know of any local shops!?
not the bike I was thinking it was .................................

why do you think the sprag clutch is toast?
did the previous owner tell you its bad or what ?

It will be damn near impossible to find a shop ANYWHERE in new england willing to do a major repair on a 18 year old motorcycle.

I dont know what you paid for said beast but I'll wager that it's going to cost you more to repair in labor charges
than you paid for the entire bike .
and to attempt to ride a 18 year ol steamer thhat you know nothing about halfway across country is probably not going to end well ....................

not trying to kill your buzz but ............................
youll do much better to throw it in a truck to bring it home .

how many miles on it ?
got any proof of service records etc etc?
hows the rest of the bike ?
tires? age ? knobbies will need replacing first day cuz youll chew them off in 500 miles ?
chain , sprockets ? they be toast on first day if not new .
has the previous owner/owners ever done anything with the pogo stick front forks , or mushy rear shock ?
probably needs a new battery b4 a big trip too .

you have or have not heard it run ?
will it even start ? even if the sprag is not the problem ?
how longs it been sitting ?
it's a 98 it's going to have piece of shit Gill coils . that alone will be enough reason to seriously doubt its reliability for the 1500=2000 mile trip home .
hows the carbs ?
how bout when was the last time it got treated to a new air filter ?
if not recently then the current oem foam one is probably rotting away .............and useless.
when if ever has the chain strip and rub block been replaced ?
any gas leaks from the fine plastic tank ?

so if after all this you still want to ride off to ohio .....................let me know when , I'll ride the first day with ya for moral support .

I can carry lots of spare parts ................... :*&*

Hooverscon

It's a 1998 with 21000 miles. He is the second owner that bought the bike with 6000 miles on it. He said that it has been sitting for the last two years. His local triumph dealer said that it was in fact the Sprag that needed to be replaced. Other updates include: new tires, chain, sprocket, breaks, plugs, and coils.
I paid $1100 for it

Mustang

I just want to repeat ...............

QuoteIt will be damn near impossible to find a shop ANYWHERE in new england willing to do a major repair on a 18 year old motorcycle.
it will take two weeks to a month or more just to get parts , even if they still can  :bug_eye

ps I have seen that bike for sale before ..............................

a 98 with a bad sprag at only 21k ......is not a good thing .
do yourself a huge favor and just rent a uhaul .............................seriously !

GavD

On a positive note though............. i'm pretty sure it's a '98 model (as opposed to an earlier model registered in '98) because they look like Keihin Carbs which were only fitted in 1998. That means that the Alternator shaft upgrade was fitted when built which means you will only ever get the simple to fix version of DAR!!

Also Keihins seem to be a bit more robust than the Mikuni's although you will probably need to remove them and give them a thorough blast with carb cleaner if it's been sat for 2 years - especially the pilot jet circuit. Once they are clean though you need to fire them up every week or two to keep 'em running sweet.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S