News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Renovating Rear Shock

Started by Danwarb, February 17, 2017, 05:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danwarb

Hi Guys,

I've fitted a temporary rear shock which a rusty looking one off eBay and now I'd like to get the one I removed renovated before switching it back.

Who do you know who does this and how much would I look at paying for this?

Cheers,

Dan

:ear
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

JayDub

I found someone on ebay last year, offering a rebuild service for £210 - if you buy one from them + a deposit, then return your old one for a deposit refund.
Though to be honest, the OE one isn't that brilliant and I would consider just buying something better instead.  Threepot got what seems to a decent one for a reasonable price.

threepot

Or buy a replacement? Think I paid 239? Happy with it so far.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

London_Phil

Whats the main use for you, and is price important?
I rebuilt mine using ATF fluid and air, with around £40 of seals etc, and it made a hugh difference, but my mileage was lowish, and only used on roads.

Danwarb

Quote from: London_Phil on February 18, 2017, 09:05:47 PM
Whats the main use for you, and is price important?
I rebuilt mine using ATF fluid and air, with around £40 of seals etc, and it made a hugh difference, but my mileage was lowish, and only used on roads.

Hi Phil,

Yes i'd be up for doing this definitely but don't have the equipment for re-repressuring it or do I not need such tools?
Black 1995 Tiger 885

London_Phil

I used a cheap cycle tyre pressuring kit with a cartridge. Its a tiny amount, but its getting the kit off before the tiny amount escapes again.
The cycle thing has a little valve device, so it can seal before removal, and the pressue is fine.
If your old shock  was leaking oil, the only criteria is the chrome shaft condition.
If the new seals cant seal, due to shaft wear/damage, your then looking at a more complex lob.

Danwarb

Quote from: London_Phil on February 21, 2017, 10:03:32 AM
I used a cheap cycle tyre pressuring kit with a cartridge. Its a tiny amount, but its getting the kit off before the tiny amount escapes again.
The cycle thing has a little valve device, so it can seal before removal, and the pressue is fine.
If your old shock  was leaking oil, the only criteria is the chrome shaft condition.
If the new seals cant seal, due to shaft wear/damage, your then looking at a more complex lob.

Hi Phil,

Your inspiring me to go for it and do this my self.

How can I work out what seals I need?
Black 1995 Tiger 885

London_Phil

I've got a list of parts, Ill dig it out this eve and post it.l
I've posted it before, so try a search too.
I've got a dismantled shock too, so I can show you what to expect.

London_Phil

Some Caveats before you start

Probably easiest if you strip it 1st.
If it's fubar, then you waste nothing on parts cost.

Check the piston rod is not worn/ pitted where it runs in the seal.
Ensure you can remove the dust seal for the valve, as my valve sheared off when I tried to remove it.
Measure the compressed length of your spring, so you can set the preload back when re assembling.
I used ATF Dexron III and air on mine, lots of opinions on this, mainly howls of protest, but look, its a rear shock on a 20 yr old bike....

I used this guy for the parts. Very helpfull

K-Tech Suspension Ltd
Units 1 & 2 Marquis Court
Rawdon Business Park
Moira
Derbyshire
DE12 6EJ

Mail:- chris.taylor@ktechsuspension.com

Direct Dial:- +44 (0) 1283 559 001

Secondly, Parts ordered were

seal head repair kit  205-200-040 (KYB 44/16)
Bump Stop (5mm longer than stock)  KYB-120341600101

Not putting prices in, as done over a year ago.
Probably around £50 all in now.

Danwarb

Brilliant Phil thank you !

I'll take this one later in spring.

:rfl

:thumbsup
Black 1995 Tiger 885