News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Giving the Steamer a going over

Started by ghulst, February 17, 2017, 09:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghulst

Ok guys, I might be at the point where I realize I can't really do much better than the steamer for the budget. So, I might spend a bit more time on him to get him (I couldn't see this big adventurous bike as a girl for some reason... I mean, it isn't a girly ;) ) ready for the new riding season. (Not that the previous season ever ended.)

So, oil, oil filter, brake and clutch fluids are on the list. I did the airfilter and box a mere 400km's ago, it's got reasonably new tires, I revised the fork with new springs last spring and had the rear shock/spring looked at at the same time. Carbs are clean, but might need some syncing.

Other suggestions?
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Sin_Tiger

Change the fork oil, it doesn't last as long as you might think.

Grease the suspension linkage (assuming you know that all the bearings are good) or take it apart and have a look.

Give the multiplug connectors a going over if it hasn't been done since you got it.

Check the exhaust joints for leaks.

Don't forget your clutch fluid.

Lube the throttle cable.

Check the wear on the chain rub strip and block, if it's still there.

Check the gas pressure in your shock reservoir.

Drain the fuel tank, buy a little endoscope for your phone (about €20) and examine the inside for crap, guaranteed you will find some treasures

Oh and if you haven't read my  :pimp Steamer thread, I'd check inside the alternator end cover, it's only 3 nuts  :augie

Bet you didn't think I could come up with a list like that  :mut
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

Agree on electricAl connection blocks,especially the one from ignition switch!
95 Super111
96 Tiger

London_Phil

May want to check the front chain sprocket is tight on the shaft. Lot of vibration can come from a loose one.

ghulst

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on February 17, 2017, 11:10:13 PM
Bet you didn't think I could come up with a list like that  :mut
Hahahaha, I'm afraid I was in your case. ;)

I think the fork oil is still good. The bike hasn't done the mileage I had hoped for last year. Exhaust joints are good, the throttle cable is new and I looked through the tank earlier last year when I had to drain it anyway because it was not a fitting size anymore.

Electrical connections are a great idea, as are the rear suspension grease. Really need to get around to that. :)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

JayDub

Spark plugs, brake pads/pins/sliders and piston condition, tank and airbox drain tubes.  I often check all the bolts I can such as the brake pedal pivot (mine loosens after a few thousand mls for some reason).

threepot

How 'deep' do you want to go??
Strip the bottom shock link,andcheck the bearings etc! Just because it has grease points,doesn't mean .....
Mine was 'f#$%^d'

when I checked!
95 Super111
96 Tiger