News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Break Fluid Leak

Started by Newsman, February 21, 2017, 08:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newsman

Hi

I have had my Tiger a year now and I love it, the other day after a short ride I noticed a dribble of Fluid in the hand guard on the brake side, it felt like brake fluid, I stripped off the guard and cleaned the area I could not see any leak from the master cyl and since then no sign of any more fluid I am going to overhaul the cyl but I am not sure that is where it came from I have tried pulling the brake hard several times and left the brake on with the help of a cable tie overnight the pipe unions are tight so I am at a bit of a loss anyone else had anything like this? its a good job I had the hand guards otherwise it would have been on the tank.

I was going to add a pic of my bike but all my Jpegs are too big even if I re save it at the lowest quality I will have to dig out one of my older cameras and do some more!

Bixxer Bob

Check the reservior cover gasket, it's probably leaking from there.  Since you are doing a overhaul you might as well replace it at the same time.  Not wanting to tech you to suck eggs, but have the correct X point screwdriver; the screws are like cheese and easily damaged.  Good idea to order two new ones with your other bits.  If you round one off it's not the end of the world. Just drill in the centre of the X with a 3mm drill carefully until the head comes off then remove the stub with mole grips .
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

London_Phil

Dont forget to swap any Aluminiun sealing washers in the system for copper, as the Ali ones corrode, and leak
This applies to clutch system too

ned37

prob came from the truck driving in front of you :icon_mrgreen:
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

CoolHandLuke

Not solving your problem, but helping you post images...

If you are a Windows user, download paint.net. Excellent and free. You can resize the image, do lots of cool stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint.NET

If you are a Mac user, download Acorn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_Image_Editor

ghulst

Or don't download anything and just upload your images to Flickr.com where you can then click a share button, which will give you the BBCode you need to post your bike on this forum (and you can even choose the resolution you would want to use.) (Oh, and an account is free.)

Other than that, do an overhaul just to be sure, put copper washers in and you'll be fine.
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

JayDub

:iagree I would think that the master cyl seal was leaking if its caught in the handguard, I don't think I've ever known a reservoir seal to leak on any bike - unless it was damaged  by careless fittihg.  I would just overhaul the master cyl first  :nod

Timbox2

Quote from: JayDub on February 22, 2017, 01:49:59 PM
:iagree I would think that the master cyl seal was leaking if its caught in the handguard, I don't think I've ever known a reservoir seal to leak on any bike - unless it was damaged  by careless fittihg.  I would just overhaul the master cyl first  :nod

+1, I was getting the odd drop of fluid in my hand-guard. Put a new piston/seal kit in last year and none since
2016 Tiger Sport

Sin_Tiger

I don't know what they makeep those wee piston rod dust covers out of  :icon_scratch: I've used condoms that lasted longer than them.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ssevy

The screw heads were JIS and not Philips on my 95, and while they look alike, they are not. JIS screws have a dot on their head, and if you use a standard Philips #2, you'll probably round them out. That being said, I do have some Vessel JIS screwdrivers, and even using these, they sometimes won't move easily, especially if the screw has been in place for a long while. If you can find a JIS bit (Wiha used to have them), try applying a bit of grinding/lapping compound to the tip, and then tap in into place with a small hammer. Finally, attach your screwdriver handle to the bit without disturbing it, and keeping downward pressure on it, try to snap the screw free.
If you round them off and can't turn them, I have used a left hand drill bit turning counterclockwise  in my cordless drill, keeping the speed slow so as not to over drill into the cover. Once you get the shoulder free, you'll be able to remove the threaded part with just your fingers, as the galling takes place between the shoulder of the screw and the angled countersink in the cover.
Do yourself a favor and buy a small tin of red rubber grease, made specifically for brake applications. It is safe to get in the brake fluid, and using it on all of the new seals and pistons, as well as a small wipe on the shoulder of your new master cylinder cover screws, will do wonders to prevent corrosion in the future, and it also makes the brakes work much better. If you eventually rebuild the calipers, use the red rubber grease on the piston seals there too, as it is under these that the water can collect and begin the corrosion process.
No joke, red rubber grease is an amazing product (and pretty hard to find in the states, except on ebay).
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

fishnbiker

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 21, 2017, 09:12:54 AM
Check the reservior cover gasket, it's probably leaking from there.  Since you are doing a overhaul you might as well replace it at the same time.  Not wanting to tech you to suck eggs, but have the correct X point screwdriver; the screws are like cheese and easily damaged.  Good idea to order two new ones with your other bits.  If you round one off it's not the end of the world. Just drill in the centre of the X with a 3mm drill carefully until the head comes off then remove the stub with mole grips .

Using the proper screwdriver IS important. an ordinary SAE American Standard Phillips can be made to fit by taking it to a grinder & rounding off the point a bit so that the blade edges grab the screw slots completely. Do this against a brand new screw & you will have that driver to work on all later.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Newsman

Thanks for all the replies and advice the kit has arrived and I will be fitting it over the weekend, weather permitting I have had bikes for a good few years and I am aware of the reservoir cap screws but its brilliant advice  also with the red grease fantastic stuff I would recommend it I am sure along with gold grease on the sliding bits its stopped my calipers from seizing  I will let you know how I get on 

Newsman

So I have managed to overhaul the master cyl and all seems ok now I di have a bit of an issue with the bleeding but I fell back on a trick I used on a Kawasaki I used to have which had similar calipers, hang the calipers as high as possible with the bleed nipple at the top leave them overnight and re bleed it works every time for me!
I just want to say thanks to everyone who offered and advice and comments!