News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel Leaking from Carbs

Started by cr8297, February 25, 2017, 04:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cr8297

So I have this little problem with the Steamer.
I finally had the Dyno tune done and for the first time since I purchased the bike several years ago it runs as it should. Had to go to the other side of the US for work and left the bike in the garage for 12 months. when I started her up she was not happy  only running on 2 and backfiring. so I cleaned the plugs and tightened the connections on the coils  and she ran fine. Fast forward to the first time I shut her down, forgot to turn off the fuel cock and came back to a puddle of fuel on the ground and a hard start. any clues to the problem would be appreciated.
98 Steamer Living with us in our Barn. I will get it fixed one day. 02 F650GS Dakar works always

ssevy

Sitting for so long - almost a guarantee you have gotten some small piece of dirt which has migrated to the float needle and lodged itself there, leaving a gap for that fuel to seep through.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

JayDub

That's inevitably due to stale fuel/ethanol crystallization, the float needles are gummed up, you'll need to strip and thoroughly clean the carbs inc the jets.  If you intend to leave it standing for a couple of months or more, you should use an ethanol stabilser additive, run it through the carbs, then drain the float bowls, if it's going to be 12 months then drain the tank too.
You could try just draining thank and using fresh fuel, it may clear after a few blasts

cr8297

that is kind of what I was thinking. just have to find the gasket kits for the carbs. hanks guys.
98 Steamer Living with us in our Barn. I will get it fixed one day. 02 F650GS Dakar works always

Mustang

Open the float bowl drains and let some fuel flow
Then drain the tank put I. New fuel with some sea foam additive from auto zone
Check and make sure fuel didn't get to crankcase .....it happens
Ride it like you stole it
Usually clears it up......

Sin_Tiger

If you want to try a quick and dirty fix, make sure your oil is good and the level OK. Mix up a 50/50 of fuel and Sea Foam, disconnect the fuel hose at the petcock, connect a test tank directly to the feed hose and run it with that. If it settles down OK, stop and monitor the level in the test tank to check for float needle valve sealing. Might work or might not  :m
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: Mustang on February 25, 2017, 07:10:21 PM
Open the float bowl drains and let some fuel flow
Then drain the tank put I. New fuel with some sea foam additive from auto zone
Check and make sure fuel didn't get to crankcase .....it happens
Ride it like you stole it
Usually clears it up......
:iagree
Ride it like you stole it. Best advice ever.

cr8297

Well........
Tried the Seafoam thing and no better, so stripped the carbs off the bike, not as bad a job as I had been led to believe.
All kinds of crud and nastiness in the left and centre carb float bowl Right carb was clear. hey now have been cleaned. However as I had most of the body work off decided to send it to the paint shop to get rid of the gouges the previous owner had put in. while the frame id just about visible touch up and full clean of frame and engine. hope to have all back together next week. Thanks for all the advice.

threepot

Whilst your carbs are stripped,worth fitting new o rings,and check condition of float assembly?
I noticed this deformation recently on a set I'm rebuilding for my Daytona. See how the plastic has bent? Won't 'seat' in the body properly. Luckily I had a spare set.You don't want those dropping down!
Rebuild parts are available on eBay,and KEYSTER supply kits.

http://www.keyster.ca
95 Super111
96 Tiger