News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger to GS change???

Started by henski, June 21, 2005, 06:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

henski

Has anyone here changed from BMW GS to the Tiger? if so what were the problems with the GS and what reasons would you give not to change the Tiger for a BMW GS?

Dick Boyer

No I haven't changed but I recently took a new GS1200 for a demo ride of about 25 miles. Didn't get to do dirt either but these are my observations compared to my 04 Tiger with off road Triumph can.

1-The Tiger pulled stronger and cleaner at 2000 rpm up to about 4000. Then the GS came on strong but not quite as strong as the Tiger.

2-The Tiger was smoother throughout the RPM range.

3-Both bikes are equally comfortable.

4-The GS would most likely be better in the dirt due to that paralever front suspension and easily adjustible rear shock.

5-The GS feels like it has stronger brakes but that is partially due to ABS, however the ABS seems to grind at very slow speeds. Didn't like that sound.

6-The GS has terrible flashers. but in general the bike is more high tech than the Tiger.

7-I'm convinced the Tiger is more reliable than the BMW. Ad Rider have several BMW reliability problems. BMW have been living on their reputation for years. Truth is , its not that great. Now if Honda ever built a GS, I'd order one today.

twotaildog

ArizonaKid

You can nearly buy TWO Tigers for the cost of a GS!  May not be an issue for some, but for most this is the deciding factor.  Both great bikes.  Accessories of all sorts for the GS are plentiful, not so plentiful for the Tiger.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

Brock

Quote from: henskiHas anyone here changed from BMW GS to the Tiger? if so what were the problems with the GS and what reasons would you give not to change the Tiger for a BMW GS?

Fuckin 'ell mate...what reasons would I give to keep my Tiger????

Where do I start?

For starters if you've got nine and a half grand to spare, and must have that badge then go for it. I'm sure the GS12 is a great machine but is it worth that? maybe someone can tell me.

If you're talking about the 1150GS then again, it's a matter of a/ do you have the money and b/ is if that much better than the Tiger in the real world?

I test rode two of 'em and couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

Dick's about right...the Tiger's the one for the real world...delicious engine, more usable power, adequate handling (for most folks) and the right price. The GS? Just test ride one and make your own mind up.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Mudhen

I got rid of my '04 GS Adventure for a '96 Tiger...different beasts if you're considering a fuel injected one, though...
\'96 Steamer

TigerTim

Yes I came to a Tiger from a GS1150.

Bought a 6month old 2002 GS with 1500 miles on the clock. Gave up on it

after 11 months and 10000 miles and bought a new 2005 Tiger.

GS problems and "things" I couldn't live with:

Lumpy surging engine

Erratic oil consumption

Failed to start twice - late for work

11 month old battery failed

Oil sight glass cracked = oil leak - late for work again

Lumpy surging engine

Speedo failed

Weight of the thing

Fuel gauge failed - twice

Lumpy surging engine

Had the Tiger 10 months, 8000miles

Problems:

Lost one can attachment bolt

Tiger is better than GS

Engine much more powerful and smoooooother

Reliability (kiss of death with that statement)

Price (but I'd willingly pay Triumph more for something a little better

finished)

GS is better than Tiger

Suspension

ABS brakes

O/E luggage has more room, easier use, and "solid" feel

Shaft drive (until it goes U/S)

Dealer relationship

I've test ridden the new 1200GS, like it but still wary of the above being

repeated. Just look at the GS owner webgroups and see the reliability issues many have had and are still having.

And finally don't believe all that GS quality and residuals cr*p!!!!!

Regards

Tim
I\'m not a complete idiot, some parts are missing

Mudhen

I agree with most of TigerTim's comments...except for all the reliability stuff and surging.  My '04 twin spark was ok in those departments (except I only owned it for 1.5 years (28k miles)).

I got rid of it because of cost, weight, and the Tigers suspension is much better, in the off road department at least.

The Steamer kicks the daylights out of the GS off road, and has a MUCH bigger grin factor when you twist the throttle.  I still haven't ridden a fuel injected bike, though...trying not to!
\'96 Steamer

Dick Boyer

If you guys think the steamer is great! Don't try the fuel injected model. Its incredible. Power is the big grin factor.

TigerPilot

Quote from: "henski"Has anyone here changed from BMW GS to the Tiger? if so what were the problems with the GS and what reasons would you give not to change the Tiger for a BMW GS?

I went from a GS to the Tiger and although I'd agree is a little quicker ONLY out-of-the-hole, I will tell you that that was a big mistake. I would definately go with the GS- hands down for the all purpose/OFF ROAD...

Unlike most here, I actually used this bike for what is meant to; down and dirty on AND off roads!! anywhere from Baja Cali, to Baja Mexico, Arizona, Belize, Argentina you name it- GS all with flying colors!!  The TIger, well it was great on the straight/city roads...

I mean come on, really, who here REALLY uses the Tiger off road...

Rest my case!!!
Work Hard; Play Harder !!!

05 Suzuki SV1000

04 BMW K1200 GT

04 Kawasaki KLR 650

02 Triumph Tiger

Brock

Who REALLY uses the Tiger off road? Well I'm sure there's a few here who do (although I'm not one of 'em!) Horses for courses though innit? for what a GS costs I'd expect it to ride itself off road and clean itself down afterwards. Me? like you I'd take the Tiger for the road any day. A few miles on a GS had my testicles numb in no time from the vibration.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

newmanr19

Quote from: "TigerPilot"
Quote from: "henski"Has anyone here changed from BMW GS to the Tiger? if so what were the problems with the GS and what reasons would you give not to change the Tiger for a BMW GS?

I went from a GS to the Tiger and although I'd agree is a little quicker ONLY out-of-the-hole, I will tell you that that was a big mistake. I would definately go with the GS- hands down for the all purpose/OFF ROAD...

Unlike most here, I actually used this bike for what is meant to; down and dirty on AND off roads!! anywhere from Baja Cali, to Baja Mexico, Arizona, Belize, Argentina you name it- GS all with flying colors!!  The TIger, well it was great on the straight/city roads...

Rest my case!!!

your dreaming if you think the GS is any more capable off road then the Tiger. The new 1200 is; but certainly not the previous generation GS. It's all about the marketing. Triumph decided to stop marketing the Tiger as a multi-surface capable bike; then the engineers decided to play the same tune; BMW on the other hand has continued to play up the adventure aspect of the GS and that's the "only" reason folks consider it more off road worthy. Granted, neither bike is a whole lot of fun in the rough stuff (not to me at least) but having owned two Tigers, a KTM 950  and several other dual sports, it's nonsense to claim the GS is a better off-road bike. In my opinion anyway.

BTW, every, EVERY Tiger I know in the Pacific Northwest rides their beast off road; mostly fire roads granted; but I even know of a couple that rides thiers TWO UP off road; and have even done it in a dual sport event.

Mudhen

Rest my case!!!

The telelever suspension isn't ideal for real off roading...hence kits like Motozilla's (and BMW getting rid of it for the HP2).  My '96 Tiger will kick the shit out of a GS any day of the week off road...at least, with ME riding both bikes!  I'm certainly not saying it will stand up to the abuse...time will tell that story, I guess.

I had both bikes for awhile so I got to ride them back to back.  At first, I thought I'd made a big mistake getting the Tiger.  But after a couple months of using it, I never touched the GS again.  Didn't want to ride it anymore - too slow, too much vibration, and too heavy...

I can't imagine the fun I've had with the Tiger - for $3500!  I guess BMW marketing can chaulk one more win up for my $8k GS mistake (what I lost on it in 1.5 years)...never should have bought that bike...

And I DO ride my Tiger off road!
\'96 Steamer

TigerPilot

Quote from: "Mudhen"

Rest my case!!!

The telelever suspension isn't ideal for real off roading...hence kits like Motozilla's (and BMW getting rid of it for the HP2).  My '96 Tiger will kick the shit out of a GS any day of the week off road...at least, with ME riding both bikes!  I'm certainly not saying it will stand up to the abuse...time will tell that story, I guess.

I had both bikes for awhile so I got to ride them back to back.  At first, I thought I'd made a big mistake getting the Tiger.  But after a couple months of using it, I never touched the GS again.  Didn't want to ride it anymore - too slow, too much vibration, and too heavy...

ALWAYS TRUST YOUR FIRST INSTINCT!!!

![/quote]I can't imagine the fun I've had with the Tiger - for $3500!  I guess BMW marketing can chaulk one more win up for my $8k GS mistake (what I lost on it in 1.5 years)...never should have bought that bike...

And I DO ride my Tiger off road![/quote]

RIIIIIIGGGGHHT!!!  (with that famous Austin Power sarcastic tone and the pinkie by the lip)

He, he.

so many fanatics; so little truth!!!
Work Hard; Play Harder !!!

05 Suzuki SV1000

04 BMW K1200 GT

04 Kawasaki KLR 650

02 Triumph Tiger