News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

To Sprag or Not to Sprag

Started by Joe Bates, March 09, 2017, 05:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Bates

Well F#$k.
Every once in a while my 1996 Tiger will make a single clunk sound when I push the start button.
It starts fine and doesn't do it very often. I was hoping it was not the Sprag.
Today it was loud, nasty and about 3 times the clunk.
It hurt me to hear this sound, kinda sound.
I've seen pics and write-ups on the Sprag and it's Failure.
I loved the Steamer forever.
Found this one in San Diego, flew to get it and rode it back to Ohio. Route 66. Natural Born Killers Tour.  It now has 27k Miles.
Ran like a Top until Warren Ohio Triumph didn't know that one of the Air Intakes were supposed to be Plugged at Sea Level. They removed the Air Cap/Plug on both sides and then destroyed my Carbs trying to tweak it to run like that. It went in for a Carb Boot Replacement.  I put it back together to Stock Jetting and it doesn't run quite as good since.
My Questions are:
1)Is this Clunk Sound the Sprag Failing or an off Fuel/Air Mixture kicking back the Motor when starting?? (It has made some Back Fire Pops when slowing down from speed lately.)
2)A Valve Adjustment Issue??  (Valves were supposedly in Spec at 24k Service but who knows who is being Honest anymore.)
3)If it is the Sprag, is there an easy way to fix it if caught early, check it or tighten it up before it completely goes??  Like something you can do to help the poor thing or catch it before complete Failure or keep it from getting worse??
4)Does it do additional Damage to keep Riding it how it is??
Thanks in Advance.

Thanks For Your Time

Sin_Tiger

Sorry to hear you've been messed around.

Try starting it with a known good really well charged battery or even with a car battery jumped into it before you go any further or start getting worried. Riding it won't do any damage but starting will and we all have to sleep  :icon_wink:

Popping on the over run is most often due to a leak in the intake system or even exhaust but there are other unknown factors in your case. If funds are limited and you have the time, those are worth checking yourself as you seem to have the understanding and skills. Giving the carbs a clean out and check that they are as per stock spec noted elsewhere on the forum. Trust nobody  :nono even I'm a bit suspect at times  :icon_wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

:iagree  If someone has messed about with the mixture screws/pilot air screws it may be too lean, this also could cause popping.

Joe Bates

Looks like I'm only getting 8.4 volts at my starter.
They say 9volts is the minimum.
What's the best Battery to buy for this Thing??
I usually use Yuasa.
Can you just put a Kick Start on a Steamer??
I put one on my DRZ400 and I see a spot where you can put one on my Super Sherpa.
Thanks For Your Time

JayDub

Its not wise to aattempt starting a steamer with much less than 12v, due to the weak sprag, the motors were never designed for kickstarters but with good engineering skills most things are possible.  It would be easier and cheaper to just upgrade the sprag assembly, and keep the battery topped up.

Joe Bates

The current Yuasa Battery holds 12.8 Volts under starting load.
I used another tester and got between 10.8 and 11.4 Volts, at the Starter, while starting.
It doesn't sound strong while starting.
That clunk hurts me.
Do you think a new battery will help and/or eliminate the Clunk Sound??
Is the damage already done??
I Ordered a Deca AGM Replacement.
Will have tomorrow morning.
Hope it works.
Either way, won't be the first time or last time I've wasted $80.
All comments and experience shared is greatly appreciated.
Thanks For Your Time

ssevy

The AGM battery is a good idea. My buddy's Legend, which has the same starter as ours, began to have issues, and when we pulled apart the starter, the end was all full of black dust which was blocking some of the current flow. I would check your starter and starting circuit before the sprag.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

threepot

I think once it's faulty..there's no going back! I learned that lesson the hard way with a Trident. A good battery is vital on the early engines. If you've got the oblong inspection plate above the clutch,it's an easier fix.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Mustang

usa models never had an inspection plate for sprag .

it sounds to me more like a worn out starter motor \
one of my old girls spins mighty slow these days and there is nothing wrong with sprag
it just needs the starter motor rewound or re brushed.

I would look there first ................pull the plugs , hit the starter button .
if it isnt spinning fast with a new battery , the starter motor needs work .
the starter motor is simple to get out and repair vs the sprag clutch .

get yourself a triumph service manual , it makes steamer love easier to do
almost every dealer in the USA has no clue about these old dogs .

ssevy

If you do need a new starter, my buddy got his through a denso truck supply. Much cheaper than the dealer, and even had the name Triumph on it!

Danwarb

Quote from: ssevy on March 10, 2017, 07:03:08 PM
If you do need a new starter, my buddy got his through a denso truck supply. Much cheaper than the dealer, and even had the name Triumph on it!

Hi Ssevy,

Can you give us a link to this electric motor supplier and if possible to the motor listed on line?

Cheers,

Dan
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

Joe Bates

New Battery didn't do Shit.
Checking/cleaning the Starter Motor requires taking off the Tank and I just filled it with f#%$ing Fuel 5 minutes before the triple Clunk happened two days ago.
Also noticed that the fuckhead Triumph Dealer has the Left and Middle Carb's vaccume caps on instead of the two outside carbs capped. Unbelievable.
My plug wires are Numbered from left to right; clutch side to throttle side; 1,2,3.
Not sure who did it but was wondering if #3 should be middle plug like Carb??
Can't find it in Shop Manual.
Also would be interested in that Contact Info for the place that sells the Starters??
Thanks Guys.
Thanks For Your Time

JayDub

all three carb vacuum spigots should be capped, the plug leads are in the correct order.
I've removed the tank when full before, just be careful and have a clear path to where you're putting it.  or you could drain most of the fuel into a jerry can etc.

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 09, 2017, 09:52:05 PM
Trust nobody  :nono even I'm a bit suspect at times  :icon_wink:
You can trust this guy. He feeds us no BS and really wants our Steamers to keep going. Something like what you are describing happened to me, the loud sound when pushing the starter button. I found that my carbs leaked fuel into the airbox which leaked onto my starter lead. After I cleaned it up it never did it again but I may have messed my jeans for a minute when it popped. Fuel on the starter was not obvious either so maybe look very close.

PM me with an email address for a link to the manual.

ssevy

Quote from: Danwarb on March 10, 2017, 09:04:27 PM
Hi Ssevy,

Can you give us a link to this electric motor supplier and if possible to the motor listed on line?

Cheers,

Dan

I sent my buddy a text, but he's in Florida and not home where he could lay his hands on an invoice. Search for Denso truck supplier near you, and try the part number off the old starter or Triumph part number for them to use as a lookup. Nippondenso has websites too for each country they are in.
Once my buddy returns home and if he can find the info, I'll post it in one of the stickies for future reference.