News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Gas question/problem

Started by bemusedinsojo, March 23, 2017, 07:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bemusedinsojo

On Tuesday I took the Steamer up north for the first time since I did Caswell coating, valve shims, throttle cable, and rebuilding the carbs (yeah I'm proud of myself, I've never done any of this before). The ride was nice and Freddie purred like a big cat. On the way back I stopped for some gas at a station that sells no ethanol gas options so I filled up to the inside tank neck then went inside for a whiz and coke. When I came outside the bike was pissing gas out the vent tube. I opened the tank which was way too full then it started leaking out the fill hole.  It took 2 thick stacks of paper towels to soak up the gas enough to stop leaking out the vent.

I know I didn't over fill it. The auto shut off won't keep pumping after a certain point. Also, I could see I filled to the usual level. Could the gas have expanded that fast (maybe 3 min tops) or did I forget something or what?

Ideas? Thanks

ssevy

I Had this happen once. In my case, I filled it full on the center stand and then rolled it out of the way and parked it on the side stand. Messy, messy😳
If you were on the side stand for the whole time and the bike didn't move, I have no idea. Fuel stored in underground tanks would certainly be very cold, but even in bright sunlight I can't imagine it expanding so quickly as to do what you describe?
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: ssevy on March 23, 2017, 07:58:14 PM
I Had this happen once. In my case, I filled it full on the center stand and then rolled it out of the way and parked it on the side stand. Messy, messy😳
If you were on the side stand for the whole time and the bike didn't move, I have no idea. Fuel stored in underground tanks would certainly be very cold, but even in bright sunlight I can't imagine it expanding so quickly as to do what you describe?
Well crap. I was so focused on something mechanical or scientific that I didn't think of the sidestand v centerstand. That is exactly what happened. I wanted it to be a gremlin so bad I didn't even think of what I did to make it happen. Maybe after a few years I'll calm down and quit thinking stupid stuff like fuel expansion in that short of a period of time. Ha ha thanks for setting me straight.