News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Buying a Steamer, need advice

Started by Tomcat61, April 06, 2017, 06:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danwarb

Quote from: Tomcat61 on April 08, 2017, 09:14:56 AM
I began to think of the mileages (or kilometres) on Tigers.  If a Steamer is still in one piece after near 1000k km's what components have beer renewed?  Not only for the sprag clutch, but the engine itself, clutch, gearbox, electrics etc.  Is 1000k km's the end for a Steamer?  I think it depends on the quality of service and even service intervals.  Multiple owners and one 'bad apple' can ruin the bike.  I just read about a guy who bought a Honda Varadero and in 1000k km's had only cam chain tensioner spring broken.  Well.....a Honda has no soul and no character.  And easy life makes people sloppy  :icon_lol:

You mean 10 thousand or 100 thousand kilometres?
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

Tomcat61

I meant 100 000 km  :icon_wink: and it's more usual to have 100 000 kms on a 20 years old bike than 10 000 kms.  At least in Finland   :icon_razz:
Steamer 1998 British Racing Green

Danwarb

Quote from: Tomcat61 on April 08, 2017, 10:34:05 AM
I meant 100 000 km  :icon_wink: and it's more usual to have 100 000 kms on a 20 years old bike than 10 000 kms.  At least in Finland   :icon_razz:

Thanks so much for your thoughts here. You've really helped me.  :thumbsup

I've chosen to focus less on getting a bike with particularly low mileage and focus more on how the bike has been kept and cared for.
Further more as the Tiger 885's I've been offered to buy from members here, how they've been restored. Some of which are total showroom bikes that I'm drooling over . . .  :love10

One day when I can afford it and I can create the space, then I'll buy another one with a lower milage to restore.

I do see what you mean, if I bike has had all the next most likely parts to wear be replaced and the bike has been taken care of (reducing engine wear as such) then it's possible to buy a Tiger with 40,000, 50,000, 60,000 or even 70,000 miles on the clock that'll run like a beautiful beast with no problems at all for another 40,000 miles.

That sounds about right to you guys?

:ear
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

Sin_Tiger

I had a '95 Vara that I sold just on 90k kms, it was ready for a cam chain, I sorted the multi block before it had screwed the RR and stator (common Honda issue similar to Girlies) apart from usual suspension, bearings and brakes it was very reliable but I'm glad there were no sharp objects to hand on long rides or when I had to pick it up.

I sold it and bought a Street Triple, 'nuff said  :wheel then I bought the Steamer when one of the only 5 left in the country came up for sale even though I had a Roadie in the UK, the rest is history and I think you can guess why  :icon_wink:

The Steamer had 85k miles on it when I opened it up, apart from doing the inlet valves (they would have lasted to 100 miles) it would have been a waste of time taking the head off. She's got over 95k miles on her now and apart from a jammed thermostat, hasn't let me down. I'm hoping to put a lot more miles on her yet.

Unleaded isn't an issue with the T300 engines, the inlet valves will reach there limits anywhere between 50k to 100k miles depending on several factors.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

I wouldn't really worry about mileage,if you can get one for the right price. I bought mine,quite cheaply,as a non runner,with no history. 4,or is it 5? Yrs later,its been a great buy. Upgraded the coils to Denso,a new rear shock,fixed a leak in the tank,and thats about it,including general maintenance. Just over 70k on it. Recently changed the cam chain,and valves seem in a healthy state? So hopefully,good for a few more years?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Tomcat61

I am very excited right now as tomorrow Sunday I will be going to Helsinki to test ride a '98 Steamer, the one that's got 96000kms on the clock.  I've made a check list for myself not to forget to check all important things like starting, DAR, battery for power, swingarm rubbing shield and cracks on the frame, chain tensioners and tank.  Did I forget something critical?  And of course the usual tyres, chain/sprockets and overall condition.

I'm not really scared of mileage, because my Laverda had 125000 kms onthe clock when I sold it after 20 years riding it.  Knowing the critical points of a Steamer I trust my experience on bikes.  And after all, nearly 20 years old bike is always a risk, but I am willing to take that risk.  So wish me luck  :occasion14

The weather is on the chilly side as outside temp is now near 0C (32F)and tomorrow daytime max temp is about 7-8C (46F). If I buy the Steamer there will be about 130 kms (80miles) to my home.  I use train to go there and it would be so sad to return on a train too.

I promise to report how it all went.

Sin_Tiger

Good luck and a safe ride home  :icon_wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ssevy

Wear your woolies! Those temps will turn your grapes to raisins in a hurry😳
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Tomcat61

Weather's not bad right now as I'm on a train dressed up in my riding gear  :icon_lol:

Damn, feels like I'm going to buy my first motorcycle  :icon_lol: