News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger rocks for 1000 mile days

Started by rpmnh, June 22, 2005, 04:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rpmnh

Just wanted to share my feelings for the Tiger and the long haul. I had a chance, on the spur of the moment, to go to Indy last weekend for the USGP.

I filled the bags with rain gear, my laptop, and a can of fix-a-flat. I strapped my "Free for test riding" Triumph backpack to the rack and put my BMW Marsee tankbag on  and was on the road in an hour. No oil change, no chain lube, just hopped on and took off.

20 hours and 1022 miles later I was in Indy. I averaged about 40MPG on the way out.

On the way home Monday, I had to hustle. Tach at 7K the whole way(you do the math).

At times I averaged less than 30MPG on this leg, but made it back in 16 hours.

My '99 never skipped a beat. I didn't use a drop of oil, and once I wash all the bugs off the bike(and a bird off my helmet). It will be as good as new.

I do owe it an oil change though. It earned it.

I never was able to ride so far on any bike so quickly. Even my BMW1150RT would get uncomfortable at that distance.

Best bike I ever had!

Rick

Kill Switch

Sounds like a nice ride.

pauljones1227

Shame about the Grand Prix.

I'm from England and prefer Nascar anyday.

Sounded like a good ride though

abell

Two weeks ago, I did a Saddlesore 1000 ride on my Tiger, doing 1060 miles in 23 hours across six states of New England.

The only problem I had was with buffeting noise. Otherwise the bike has the legs and the comfort for it.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

Mudhen

Quote from: "abell"Two weeks ago, I did a Saddlesore 1000 ride on my Tiger, doing 1060 miles in 23 hours across six states of New England.

The only problem I had was with buffeting noise. Otherwise the bike has the legs and the comfort for it.

New England 1k!  Suweeeet!  1000 the hard way.  On my list of rides to do someday.  

You guys feel free to report in on any MB issues so we can all have a good chuckle at your expense - ok?
\'96 Steamer

Beruisis

rpmnh, I agree with your analysis. I left Dallas at noon one August a couple of years ago, went due north to Kansas & turned west. Spent that night on the Colo/Ks state line. Next day visited some folks in Denver & headed west again across the Rockies. Spent that night in the mts.  Headed south to Taos, then Texas. Spent one night in TX then headed for Oklahoma City & back to Dallas.

Was a great trip. My buddy on a Harley had to buy a pillow to sit on.

The Tiger did great, had the chain get out of round but it was past due to change it out.

B

newmanr19

glad you guys enjoy a 1k ride on her; I can do about 4-500 then it's time for the rack for me. Once you've ridden or owned a big touring bike (or near touring bike - I had a Concours) - it's hard to put up with the Tiger's wind noise, buffeting and vibrations (I love the triple, but it's not exactly the smoothest powerplant around) for that many hours.

But all in all; I'd still rather do a long haul on the Tiger; especially if it included lots of twisties and some off road action - which my rides always do

abell

>New England 1k! Suweeeet!

Mudhen, as it happens I chatted with a mate of yours there who was talking about your recent Tiger purchase.

I did it with the MRA Vario Touring screen but the thing produced a lot of buffeting for me, which greatly enhanced the fatigue factor. I may sell it, someone else will probably get better results. I think I am more content with less wind noise but less protection as offered by my chopped down stock screen.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona