News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2004 Tiger catalyst removal...shock horror

Started by Fentible, April 11, 2017, 08:40:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fentible

I had the Tiger up on the bench for its annual service and a thorough clean of its more intimate areas and during which I removed the down pipes. Having given those a good scrub and polish..........sorry OCD........I set them to one side with the intention of fitting them after a brief spring holiday.

One week on, I picked them up to refit only to notice an alarming rattle coming from within. My initial thoughts were that something, inexplicably, had fallen down into them but no amount of rattling while turning would dislodge whatever it was. A quick trip to my local engineering shop and a corrugated honeycomb device showed up on the Borescope.

I decided to cut a flap into the blind side of the collector and as shown I removed the offending object and had the flap re-welded.

I had no idea that these Tigers were fitted with a catalyst, strangely there are what looks like a spot weld on each of the triangular faces of the collector into which the 3 downpipes are welded. They turned out not to be spot welds once I got the can opened up and I have a spare set of downpipes which does not have these 'spot welds', are they simply too indicate the presence of the Catalyst?

I'll be interested to see what difference, if any, that removing the cat makes. I'm running the TOR pipe that came with the bike, K&N filter and an appropriate map.

Chris Canning

Is it a cat? Looks more like an internal baffle.

Re different pipes Motad here in the Midlands did the pipes and cans but then Triumph changed supplier and I've no idea who makes them now so spec has bound to have changed over the years.

Fentible

Could just be an internal baffle Chris, never opened a Cat up before but its pretty much how I imagine a Cat would be, never heard of internal baffling in downpipes (that's not to say they don't exist of course).

Timbox2

Catalyst was only fitted to German bikes on the spoke wheel models, but got fitted to most markets, including UK when the ally wheel bike came out. Aussie bikes never got the CAT

Oh, and yes, my ally wheel bike also had the rattle, but the spoke bike didnt :icon_wink:
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Good thread cuz I damaged my header guard and brackets years ago and have threatened to buy another for some time not realising their not all the same!!!

Fentible

Mines a spoke wheel model and to the best of my knowledge, a UK market bike. Just passed its MOT yesterday and sounds a little more throaty even with the standard pipe on, I'll be switching back to the TOR pipe tomorrow though.

Timbox2

Quote from: Fentible on April 12, 2017, 09:48:52 AM
Mines a spoke wheel model and to the best of my knowledge, a UK market bike. Just passed its MOT yesterday and sounds a little more throaty even with the standard pipe on, I'll be switching back to the TOR pipe tomorrow though.

But its an 04, so right on the change
2016 Tiger Sport

JoeDirt

Quote from: Fentible on April 11, 2017, 08:40:07 AM
I had the Tiger up on the bench for its annual service and a thorough clean of its more intimate areas and during which I removed the down pipes. Having given those a good scrub and polish..........sorry OCD........I set them to one side with the intention of fitting them after a brief spring holiday.

Horrifying find! I didn't know we had stuff in our pipes. :^_^

Nice job on the polishing... I used high heat grill paint on mine. :icon_salut: