News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

advice on some upgrades

Started by bigcountry, April 21, 2017, 02:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigcountry

Hi gents

I want to put some risers on my  955.  What is the diameter of the handle bar?   I am 6'4" and I am thinking I would like raise them 3.5 inches.  My buddy says that may  be too high for the OEM cables?  Any thoughts.

I have my eye on some Pivot Pegz Mark IIIs @ 60 MMs.   I have a size 15 foot.   I may want to lower the footpegs if I can't raise the handle bar height.   Any thoughts on that. 

based on my last batter debacle...any thoughts on a good voltage meter to install on the cockpit?  What about heated grips? 

If I put heated grips on the bike, a garmin gps, and LED lights, will I need to do any upgrades to power distribution/regulation.  I've seen some fella's with a distribution box under the seat? 

Any insight would help.   I'm in the US, not opposed to buying oversea's...I mixed on the metrics at times.   Cheers BC
Thanks BC
2006 Tiger 955i (new to me 2017), 2014 Trophy SE

VABird

If you can wait a while, I may be able to tell you. I just ordered 2" pivoting risers, and already have 1" spacers. I'm thinking both may be a bit of a stretch for the cables & wires, but if so, I can remove the spacers. They're coming from overseas, so it may be a while before I can tell you.
I'm presuming that it's the stock bars on there and they're 7/8". I'll be switching to some 1, 1/8" bars that I have from a different Tiger.
The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.
John 3:16

Tiger-G

Hi BC,

Risers are a great idea for the Tiger. At 1.86 metres (6' 2" in Victorian England), I always found myself in an uncomfortable riding position, leaning forwards to grip the bars. This was painful across the shoulders and upper back on long rides.

I got myself some ROX risers that raise the bars, but pull them back as well. Think they were 5.08 cm (2", again in Victorian England) ??

For me, they still don't pull the bars back enough to sit in a comfortable, upright riding position. I think an extra 2" (think I've made my point about an an archaic measuring system that makes it impossible to do quick calculations  :icon_wink:) would have made all the difference.

Something for you to bear in mind. Good luck with your choices, and keep us posted as to how you get on  :icon_biggrin:

Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

bigcountry

Thanks Gents,
  I found some Mark III pivot pegz from Aus.  Good price.   They specifically say for the 955.   Several sellers here don't even say they fit the 955.   I have a query in to Revzilla.   

I will have to measure the cables when I get back home, 10 days, to see if 3.5" risers are too much for the cables.   It's not only for the seated position but for the times I want to stand whilst off road--hence, the reason I bought the bike, as well as, I love the lines of this bike:)
Thanks BC

Tiger-G

You might find it a good idea to take the headlight panel and headlights off and have a good mooch around at the wiring in there, see what you can loosen up, reroute, etc, to ensure you can still get full lock with your risers on.
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

bigcountry

Sorry for taking so long to respond. 

I finally installed the following items. 

-Centech AP-1 Fuse Panel
- PIAA two-lamp wiring harness with switch, up to 85 watts each
- USB Weatherproof Bar Clamp or Panel Mount 4 Amp Dual Port USB Charger × 1
- Voltage meter
- Vario Windscreen smoke. 
- Pivot Pegz Mark III
- Rox 2" Pivot Risers for 7/8" Handlebars
- Givi XS308 Tanklock Tankbag
- Givi Tanklock Bike Specific Flange $15
- CREE V-3 Aux lights
- My buddy manufactured a switch to ensure the voltage meter, 9 volt usb, and lights only ran when the bike was turned on.
- I got rid of the top box and mounted an old MG grill on the back.  I have a huge waterproof bag that is easy to strap on.  Much easier.   

Future purchases – Fall?
-   Heated Hand Grips
-   Corbin Seat (heated) .  Even with the seat at the tip position and with the new pivot pegs my butt sill sits on the edge of the seat.  1 hour or so into the ride I get sore.   I'll have to see if Corbin can assist. 
- I love this bike.   
Thanks BC

Venca

Hi bigcountry,
do you have any picture of Tiger with Pivot Pegz mk III?
Is it possible to lower them a little by changing left main pin for right one? Some models of Pivot Pegz have this feature.
Many thanks

John Stenhouse

Mustang pegs, he's the main man on this site and you know the pegs are going to fit. Also the best mod I ever made to my Tiger
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Tiger-G

How you finding the risers ??

I put some 2" rox pivoting risers on mine, but the bars still weren't back far enough for me, so I put another set of 2" rox pivoting risers on the other set of risers !! That did the trick and it pulled the bars back and high enough for me to be more comfortable. Problem was they looked sh!te  :icon_scratch:

In the end I went for a pair of 3.5" rox pivoting risers and they are in just about the best position I am going to get without them fouling the tank on full lock. I had to get a custom front brake hose made for the extra stretch, but the rest of the wiring was ok  :icon_wink:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.