News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Strange Ignition Fault

Started by bunker, May 12, 2017, 11:11:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bunker

So the quest to put the Steamer back on the road this year was going well.....

Brakes I've sorted, and replaced one of the headlight relays since I had no full beam.
To put things in perspective, the bike hasn't been started in ages but the battery has been off and on a maintenance charger.  I reconnected it the other night so I could check the headlights - everything working fine.

last night I chucked some fresh petrol in, turned the key (dash lights one  :thumbsup), choke, kill switch on, pressed the started and CLICK dash lights out and nothing happening.

Curiously, I noticed that the clock is on when the ignition is off (I know that's normal!), but when I turn the key the clock goes off  :5huh

Due to other commitments last night I've not done anything other than check the fuses and make sure that the battery has some life in it (yes on both counts).

My first port of call is to going to be behind the instrument cluster cos that where I was fannying around with the headlight relay, but if anyone has any suggestions as to where else to look for the fault I would very much appreciate it!  :thumbsup :icon_lol:
Tiger 885

London_Phil

Is the battery guaranteed good before you start....

The fuse box connects to the loom via a multiway connector.
Not uncommon for a hi resistance connection to develop.
Pull apart, visually check connections, and spray with cleaner/wd40 for a quick check.
I have found Servisol Super 10 switch cleaning lubricant spray, available from Maplin (item code  JP17T @ 4.99) is  good
Then you have the sidestand switch/kill switch, and the switch for clutch and engine stop on handlebar switches.
Sounds to me like you have a bad connection on the power side.
Maybe try wd40 down the key barrel and work it back and forth a bit, as the connections there can stick/corrode.
Then of course theirs the ever popular break in the loom where it flexes from the ignition switch, but I'm not sure the symptoms support that one.

JayDub

What voltage is the battery showing?  The symptoms are typical of low voltage

bunker

Quote from: JayDub on May 12, 2017, 01:02:23 PM
What voltage is the battery showing?  The symptoms are typical of low voltage

Off the top of my head I can't remember but it came straight off a charger where it was on "maintenance" - at least that's what the light on the charger was saying! It must not have struck me as being low, but it'll be worth checking later on  :thumbsup
Tiger 885

bunker

Quote from: London_Phil on May 12, 2017, 12:54:43 PM
Is the battery guaranteed good before you start....

The fuse box connects to the loom via a multiway connector.
Not uncommon for a hi resistance connection to develop.
Pull apart, visually check connections, and spray with cleaner/wd40 for a quick check.
I have found Servisol Super 10 switch cleaning lubricant spray, available from Maplin (item code  JP17T @ 4.99) is  good
Then you have the sidestand switch/kill switch, and the switch for clutch and engine stop on handlebar switches.
Sounds to me like you have a bad connection on the power side.
Maybe try wd40 down the key barrel and work it back and forth a bit, as the connections there can stick/corrode.
Then of course theirs the ever popular break in the loom where it flexes from the ignition switch, but I'm not sure the symptoms support that one.

Cheers for this  :thumbsup Would the sidestand switch kill the lights on the dash though? They were on - the neutral and oil lights I mean, and then they went off when I hit the starter.
Strangely, I have replaced the chain and sprockets so the sidestand switch and the gear shifter were all off the bike
Tiger 885

London_Phil

My feeling is poor connection somewhere in either the starter solenoid feed, or the starter main power.
If you batteries good, and your careful,  you can short across the solenoid with something like a screwdriver, to ensure the starter is working, but you do need to be careful how you do it, what with sparks and petrol etc etc
possibly use a car jump cable across the posts?
That at least tells you starter is working. Could be stuck brushes if it wont turn.
Hmmm, now who has a cheap starter motor for sale........

bunker

Cheers @London_Phil i'll take a look.

The starter solenoid is something I replaced a couple of years back, but i'll have a poke around  :thumbsup
Tiger 885

bunker

Well its looking like a loose battery connection and a gubbed starter solenoid - thanks for the help folks!  :thumbsup
Tiger 885

threepot

Quote from: bunker on May 14, 2017, 12:26:23 PM
Well its looking like a loose battery connection and a gubbed starter solenoid - thanks for the help folks!  :thumbsup
Glad you sorted it?
Remember guy's,these bike are getting on a bit! I recommend a day's maintenance,and go thru all electrical connections etc,and give them a bit of TLC! I recommend ACF50 spray,and Corrosion Block grease ( dialectic) .
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

Dielectric  :qgaraduate probably invented by a Welsh person  :mut
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Timbox2

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 15, 2017, 08:25:15 PM
Dielectric  :qgaraduate probably invented by a Welsh person  :mut

Yeah, same guy who invented the  Di-Pad, known as the Wye-i pad in Newcastle, Ok Ill get me coat :icon_redface:
2016 Tiger Sport

ssevy

Is this some more of that tire/tyre  wrench/spanner inside humor that we can't understand over here on this side of the pond?
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

threepot

Quote from: ssevy on May 15, 2017, 09:33:34 PM
Is this some more of that tire/tyre  wrench/spanner inside humor that we can't understand over here on this side of the pond?
Yes,Brit humour! Di or Dai,is another Welsh name for David. It can be followed by something that the person was known for,or associated with. Eg,a friend now sadly passed on,played the guitar. So he was known as Dai.. yes,you've guessed it..'guitar'! Another was Dai 'comb forward'. He was bald,but had a patch of hair at the back ,which he 'combed forward'! Amazing what you can learn on here,especially under 'strange ignition fault'  :icon_rolleyes:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

ssevy

Too much warm beer consumption I think😉
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

JayDub

Quote from: threepot on May 15, 2017, 11:33:28 PM
Yes,Brit humour! Di or Dai,is another Welsh name for David. It can be followed by something that the person was known for,or associated with. Eg,a friend now sadly passed on,played the guitar. So he was known as Dai.. yes,you've guessed it..'guitar'! Another was Dai 'comb forward'. He was bald,but had a patch of hair at the back ,which he 'combed forward'! Amazing what you can learn on here,especially under 'strange ignition fault'  :icon_rolleyes:
...and guess what 'Daffyd chips' in the next village does  :icon_biggrin: