News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sealers, washers, o-rings etc.

Started by Aeschere, June 13, 2017, 02:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeschere

Hello all,

It has been a while. Ever since replacing the pickup coil (http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,15611.msg120370.html#msg120370) the bike has been collecting rust under it's cover.
The weather is clearing up, we soon need additional transport and I just miss riding a whole lot so it is time to get the beast back on the road. There are several things that need to be done before I can take it for a spin and one of those things is cleaning out the carbs since I didn't drain them before putting it to sleep.

When cleaning the carbs (and other stuff as well) you run into o-rings, washers, sealers etc. that optimally need to be replaced. If I take a look at the World of Triumph website I am shocked how much a single o-ring costs. Since being a cheap Dutch male I am wondering if there are cheaper, yet just as good, alternatives? I was at the local bike store yesterday and they have a whole box of o-rings in different sizes for just a few Euro's but I am not sure if those fit just as well as the "original".
How do you do it? Do you buy original parts or a bunch of replacement stuff all at once? In case of the latter, do you have a link to what you are using?

The same question goes for nuts and bolts. Use the original or do you go down to the local hardware store for replacement screws? My carbs seem to be closed with allen bolts by which I assume the originals have already been replaced. Just wondering if there is a difference in quality or if any kind of bolt will do?

Typing this all up I feel like such a newbie but I have to get started somewhere don't I? :)

threepot

Quite a few supplying carb parts on the net,or fleabay..http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mikuni-Carburettor-Viton-Seals-for-Triumph-900-Tiger-Carb-Steamer-/291548898932?hash=item43e1ab2674:g:QMMAAOSw5cNYGIG1
I've replaced the screws on my carbs for allen head. And kits available for engine case stainless screws.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Aeschere

Thanks a lot. Just ordered a set, let's hope it arrives soon.
In the mean time I will keep myself bust with other stuff.

One more question on materials though; is there a good replacement for the bolts that secure the fairings to the tank? The previous owner cut them in half and decided that velcro would do...
£7 per bolt on World of Triumph is a bit to much for my liking.

In line with that, while cutting the bolts it seemed he thought it would be a great idea to leave the shaft in the tank. I have tried to loosen them but they seem to be quite stuck, any idea on how to remove them? Can you drill them out or is that to a job better left to the professionals?

London_Phil

Ohh Tank bolts, my favourite subject....

Don't touch them until you understand the options and implications.

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,15541.msg119720.html#msg119720

Aeschere

Thanks for that Phil. I will open another thread to show what I have to deal with before I can even start thinking about putting in other bolts :)