News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tomcat61's Steamer '98

Started by Tomcat61, April 09, 2017, 04:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bemusedinsojo

When does it stop? You have to be itching to ride.

Tomcat61

Although this is not the weather channel, it's really annoying when it snows every day, not much but enough to make you feel like not riding.  After Mother's Day the weather should get warmer  :XXsunsmile

I managed to install the voltage display to the right top corner of the fairing dash.  Display unit is not waterproof, so I don't expect it to last very long  :icon_rolleyes: but I wrapped it in packaging tape to keep most of the water outside the housing.

I chose red led colour but in bright daylite can't see nothing but the "888"  :icon_lol:

Classic dial gauge would be better, but the one I already purchased is not waterproof either, as it's meant for car use.  I hope for a dry Summer   :*
Steamer 1998 British Racing Green

Sin_Tiger

How about something like the Ctek indicator lead . It can sit at the top of your dash  (secured with a bit of velcro) and has the dual purpose of an easy connection for charging. It's not really necessary to know the voltage, in fact it can make you worry at every fluctuation, knowing that you're getting a charge is enough.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Tomcat61

It's been over a month without writing anything about Steamer. Mostly I've been commuting with some occasional longer trips, like last weekend to Imatra, legendary street circuit. They had IRRC races there and of course the parade of old racebikes with former World Champions and other stars riding them.
You know, Agostini, Read, Mortimer, Ballington, Lansivuori, Korhonen, C.Sarron, Lavado, Granath, and so on.  It was for me like a time travel back to '70's.  Ago is in a good shape for his age as were most of the veteran riders. It was so good to smell old time 2-stroke exhaust smoke and hear the ripping soung of MV Agusta and Benelli.

Sorry, I got a bit carried away into good memories.

Steamer's been working fine, the rattling of the chain remains the same, but I have learnt to avoid it by going fast from 2500 rpm to 3000 rpm.  The front sprocket needs to be checked but I doubt it would be loose in any way.  The alternator rattles as it used to but strange is that when front brakelever is pulled the rattling is silenced!  I can't think anything but the brake light going on and it makes the alternator work a bit harder and the sound is different because of that.
Steamer 1998 British Racing Green

Chris Canning

Photos please  :icon_biggrin:

My wife's cousin has lived in Helsinki(well just outside) for over 10 years now we are due a visit and the plan was to time with the GP next year but I see it's been put off till 19.

Sin_Tiger

If the rattle occurs at those revs then adjusting the idle mixture screws might help. When the engine is on over run the load on the alternator shaft is reversed, that's the most likely reason.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint