News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

NZ Touring

Started by clmbandski, June 29, 2005, 05:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clmbandski

I am fortunate enough to have been able to tack a couple of weeks in New Zealand onto a business trip.  I plan on arriving in Christchurch around the 25th of September or so and I have to report for duty back in Christchurch on the 12th of October.  I have already looked into adventure bike rental, so far no Tigers but lots of Dakars.  My hope is to rent a bike and tour for most of my time in NZ.  Has anybody toured this region before and have valuable nuggets of wisdom for me; places, lodging, eats, rentals, etc.?  Also is anybody interested in joining up for this adventure, it would be lots of fun to do this trip with a couple of other Tiger riders?
1996- Tiger

newmanr19

Clif Brown did a NZ trip not too long ago; I don't think he's on this list but he is on the Yahoo TriumphTriger list

He has some great photos of his trip too..

tri99sprint

I did a 2 week trip afew years ago, all on the South Island. I was on a Sprint Sport, so just did paved roads. But I still have my maps, notes, ride book, and memories. Ping me off-list and I'll be happy to help.
Chuck

kiwitiger

Howdy climbandski,

So you want to ride trafficless roads aye ! If you specifically want a tiger then try Thunderbike as they have some for hire. Although they are about 1 hours flight ar 400 odd kms north from ChCh.And to be perfectly honest Nelson would be a better place to start your tour.

You've certainly picked arguably the coldest time to tour our lovely little nation. By arriving in Christchurch you have a good choice of which way to go. The norm is to check out the weather forecast and then choose which coast has the fine weather. Its only a short hop over to the other coast if needed. Do you plan on touring the north island as well ?? Either island is good tiger country ! If you would like some help in mapping out a good route contact me off line. I have just recently completed a tour off the south and am fairly knowledgable on North Island roads and places of interest.  :D  :D  :D