News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Time for a change of machine

Started by daveb, January 21, 2018, 11:55:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveb

Decided to change my tiger 955 2007.  so yesterday rode to blade motorcycles Swindon 300 miles round trip and picked up a 2015 tigert 800 abs model.

Weather was awful, cold heavy rain, spray from roads,

t4tiger

And the new bike?  Hope you are liking.  Be brilliant get a real world comparison of the two.  I always think that the 800 is the natural successor to the 955i.  Look forward to hearing your opinions🤗

daveb

After riding about 150 miles home in the rain, initial thought the seat is a lot harder, butt not a problem. Front end is stiffer possibly due to the up side down forks. Steering in lot sharper plus the 800 is quite a few kilograms lighter.
The 900 lock stops well lock to lock is greater
19lt of fuel according to the specs on the 800 but 24lt on 955i.

Let's see how many miles i get before reserve.

Keep you all posted

Timbox2

Good luck mate, enjoy. I pop into Blade Swindon quite a bit, good parts bloke and they often have good deals, recently bought a set of genuine Frt Pads for the Sport for 50% off, which makes them about the same price as EBC.
2016 Tiger Sport

daveb

The staff there seem like a great bunch of guys  nothing was too much trouble.

Tiger-G

Hi   :icon_biggrin:

Another '955 rider bites the dust, there seems to be less and less of us on the forums now   :icon_cry:

Personally, I don't see a step down in physical size and cc as a "natural successor" to the '955 ?? And as for a 19 litre tank ?? How can having less range be a step forward ??  :^_^

I'm from the Jeremy Clarkson school of motoring - bigger is better, more power is better, so the only way forward for me is the Explorer.

My poor old '955 is starting to show it's age now at nearly 11 years old. I'm still holding off buying an Explorer as the fuel range is pitiful compared to the '955, and long fuel range is very important to me. I would have thought by by now, after however many years of us having the Explorer, there would be a long range version for those of us who like to munch the miles without fueling up every ten minutes.

But.........at some stage soon, I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get an Explorer. There's no way I can justify the price of a brand new one, so it will have to be a couple of years old. T'will be a very sad day indeed when the old '955 has to go  :icon_cry:

Good luck with the new bike Dave  :icon_wink:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

London_Phil

There are some heavy discounts to be had if you can find any last model Explorers that need shifting now the latest model is in. I still predominantly see Girlys in and around London, so there are a few still giving good service out there. The Euro compliance will probably be the biggest motivator around the towns now, sadly

daveb

Just a quick update, riding on my daily commute, the lights are a lot brighter when compared to the original 955i, but I did put brighter bulbs into the 955i.

Fuel consumption the trip shows that I have covered 142 miles from the fill up and 80 miles until refuel. But we will see.

Chris Canning

Quote from: Tiger-G on January 22, 2018, 11:25:37 AM
Hi   :icon_biggrin:

Another '955 rider bites the dust, there seems to be less and less of us on the forums now   :icon_cry:

Personally, I don't see a step down in physical size and cc as a "natural successor" to the '955 ?? And as for a 19 litre tank ?? How can having less range be a step forward ??  :^_^

I'm from the Jeremy Clarkson school of motoring - bigger is better, more power is better, so the only way forward for me is the Explorer.

My poor old '955 is starting to show it's age now at nearly 11 years old. I'm still holding off buying an Explorer as the fuel range is pitiful compared to the '955, and long fuel range is very important to me. I would have thought by by now, after however many years of us having the Explorer, there would be a long range version for those of us who like to munch the miles without fueling up every ten minutes.

But.........at some stage soon, I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get an Explorer. There's no way I can justify the price of a brand new one, so it will have to be a couple of years old. T'will be a very sad day indeed when the old '955 has to go  :icon_cry:

Good luck with the new bike Dave  :icon_wink:

I'd take Tim's TS1050 every time if you want to stick with a triple his mod route is just the icing on the cake.

Loved the bit about the staff i've Always found folk friendly when their taking money off You  :icon_lol:

As for my 955 its value is on par with the price of a bus ticket on the outer circle but mine still has its uses.

daveb

A quick picture attachment, hope it works

John Stenhouse

Still dont like the current styling of all bikes not just Triumph. I don't think I'm alone either, you should have seen the crowd round the Kawasaki Z900 at the bike show last year.

Not knocking Dave, it's a nice bike just explaining why I'm not in a hurry to sell the old Tiger
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Chris Canning

The biggest hassle is tank size the world and his dog have gone 19l the only people to have seen the light are KTM with their GT.

mark4

Quote from: John Stenhouse on January 24, 2018, 11:59:36 PM
Still dont like the current styling of all bikes not just Triumph. I don't think I'm alone either, you should have seen the crowd round the Kawasaki Z900 at the bike show last year.

Not knocking Dave, it's a nice bike just explaining why I'm not in a hurry to sell the old Tiger

I agree. To me the new crop of bikes all have sharp pointy lines and look a bit like transformers. Give me a nice shapely rounded Tiger 955i any day. Guess I'm old fashioned.

I'm sure the new style will grow on me but until then I'll keep the old girl and fix her up.  :icon_biggrin:

threepot

If I was touring a lot,and needed a bike to cover lots of miles,I suppose I'd consider the  Tiger 1050,or Explorer ? But my 'Steamer' still satisfies my requirements from a bike,and I still enjoy every ride! It's been a great bike in the 6 yrs I've had it,and I've really 'bonded' with it. Somehow,Malaysian made bikes just don't have the same appeal to me?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Chris Canning on January 22, 2018, 11:02:05 PM

As for my 955 its value is on par with the price of a bus ticket on the outer circle but mine still has its uses.

Mine's probably worth slightly less than that given the mileage and winter riding! but I will be hanging on to her for a while yet. Still nice to ride, reliable (touch wood) and I don't really want to wreck (devalue) a new machine with the sort of riding I do.

May add another weekend bike this year but the day to day riding will stay with the Tiger as long as she runs and dosent cost too much in repairs.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport