News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Water Pump Question

Started by ArizonaKid, July 08, 2005, 05:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaKid

I've searched the site, but didn't see anything directly related to my question, so. . .

Has anyone swapped out the water pump on their Tiger (mine's an 02). I've developed a small coolant leak and it appears to be seeping from the vent hole (?) that's found up behind the main casing on the part that goes into the engine.  I'm assuming there's a shaft or some mechanism that comes off the engine and drives the pump impeller and that a seal has gone bad or something along those lines.  All is see are the hose connections and the two fasteners that seem to hold the unit  to the engine case (I know, I should have a manual - but then I wouldn't get to talk to you fine gentlemen!).  Thanks.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

BR

AZ Kid,

That hole is weep hole for your water pump's mechanical seal.  Essentially just a drain hole for any coolant that gets by the seal.  This may or may not indicate a problem or pending failure of the pump but most folks will say you should look at replacing it at sometime in the near future.  Just keep an eye on the drip rate and your coolant level in the meantime.

Brendan

'98 BRG Tiger

WVdyhrd

Quote from: "BR"AZ Kid,

That hole is weep hole for your water pump's mechanical seal.  Essentially just a drain hole for any coolant that gets by the seal.  This may or may not indicate a problem or pending failure of the pump but most folks will say you should look at replacing it at sometime in the near future.  Just keep an eye on the drip rate and your coolant level in the meantime.

Brendan

'98 BRG Tiger

I just encountered same issue on my '01 Girly (after a long slow winter of working out electronic problems) two days after getting her started again, i start loosing the coolant. FML but gotta fix her. Any guidance or linky's are appreciated in the mean time.

(i also should receive the "oldest thread revival" award)
When all else fails, be lucky.

"...he proceeded, taking whatever road his horse pleased: for therin he believed, consisted the true spirit of adventure."- Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes

advrider->wvdyhrd

Mustang

ebay ebay ebay

theres a boatload of them on ebay starting at 10 bucks

for stupid silly cheap money just swap the whole water pump out

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... p&_sacat=0

WVdyhrd

Quote from: "Mustang"ebay ebay ebay

theres a boatload of them on ebay starting at 10 bucks

for stupid silly cheap money just swap the whole water pump out

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... p&_sacat=0
Mustang always shows up promptly!  8) And it's not missed on the rest of us.

I'm def losing it from my weep hole (I'm sitting next to her, she hasn't run for two days and it dripped just moving it).  Due to my remote (per triumph....for now...I'm a parts guy at a ktm shop) location from a shop, I gotta figure her out and I'd like to plan and hopefully to go parts shopping only once (so I'm not waiting a week for a seal or bearing I was unaware of). Like "AZ kid" I don't have a manual, if anyone can point me in the direction of this process it'd be greatly appreciated. Is this going to involve pushing/pulling bearings, special tools? etc etc

Yay for me being a noob, but yay for having ya'll.

Hey azkid (if your still around) is that Arizona? If so one of my contacts/customers at times is "go az" in Scottsdale, any knowledge of the place? They look like they stay pretty busy.

"...he proceeded, taking whatever road his horse pleased: for therin he believed, consisted the true spirit of adventure."- Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes

advrider->wvdyhrd

pineygroveshop

I've swapped two pumps on two Tigers.  Straightforward job.  The OEM pump comes with the O-ring seal.  This is not the seal that goes bad in the pump.  Be prepared to flush and fill the coolant.  Instructions on that fun job are on here somewhere.
Cheers,
Stephen

wesseld

Hey WVdyhrd,

Go AZ is a pretty nice store, I've had a little bit of work done there.  I think they sell every brand known to man except Suzuki and Yamaha.  They sell Triumph, Ducati, KTM, Honda, Kawasaki, and I think they just bought Hacienda Harley Davidson as well.  The owner is the guy that owns Go Daddy.
Silver 2006 Triumph Tiger

topher0268

hmmm ... and it looks like the pump on the 900i (1999 - 2000 odd ball that I own) might be the same pump. I think I may be doing a bit of research and maybe rathole one of these back on my parts shelf ....

man I love this site  8)

Oh and since no one else has been immature yet ... he said "I'm def losing it from my weep hole" ... I hate it when that happens  :lol:  :lol:
2000 Tiger "Girly in Blue"
1976 Honda CB550 F (getting cafe treatement)

metalguru

Quote from: "topher0268""I'm def losing it from my weep hole"

Comes with age sir

:ImaPoser
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

WVdyhrd

Quote from: "pineygroveshop"I've swapped two pumps on two Tigers.  Straightforward job.  The OEM pump comes with the O-ring seal.  This is not the seal that goes bad in the pump.  Be prepared to flush and fill the coolant.  Instructions on that fun job are on here somewhere.

thanks. For the mediocre prices I see on fleebay that's probably going to be my option over rebuilding. This will repair the seal that is causing it to leak from the weep hole as well?

Quote from: "metalguru"

Comes with age sir

I don't have that problem  quite yet but I've heard there are exercises to help with such things...When I get there I'll be sure to come seek your wisdom  :lol:  :oops:

advrider->wvdyhrd

pineygroveshop

Quote from: "WVdyhrd"
Quote from: "pineygroveshop"I've swapped two pumps on two Tigers.  Straightforward job.  The OEM pump comes with the O-ring seal.  This is not the seal that goes bad in the pump.  Be prepared to flush and fill the coolant.  Instructions on that fun job are on here somewhere.

thanks. For the mediocre prices I see on fleebay that's probably going to be my option over rebuilding. This will repair the seal that is causing it to leak from the weep hole as well?

Quote from: "metalguru"

Comes with age sir

The O-ring seal is not the seal that goes bad causing coolant to flow from the weep hole.  The seal that is leaking is an internal component of the pump.  Most people replace the pump to stop this leak.  If you find a used one, you should worry about it weeping also.  

I don't have that problem  quite yet but I've heard there are exercises to help with such things...When I get there I'll be sure to come seek your wisdom  :lol:  :oops:
Cheers,
Stephen

WVdyhrd

Quote from: "pineygroveshop"The O-ring seal is not the seal that goes bad causing coolant to flow from the weep hole.  The seal that is leaking is an internal component of the pump.  Most people replace the pump to stop this leak.  If you find a used one, you should worry about it weeping also.  

hmmm. So how can it get past the seal to the drip out the hole if that's not the bad one. Just wondering here thanks

advrider->wvdyhrd