News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Anyone install a volt gauge on you tiger ??

Started by Appalachian, June 04, 2018, 02:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Appalachian

Considering Tigers seem to be prone to electrical issues, and I had to replace my battery today, Ive been thinking on finding a small volt gauge to keep an eye on things and was curious if anyone has done it, which brand was used and how is it holding up ??

Big thanks

JayDub

Its one of the first things I did having developed paranoia of the dreaded sprag issue. Its just a cheap Chinese waterproof, thing wired into the ignition live so when I switch on if it shows less than 12.6v I don't hit the button.
I know it would give a more accurate reading if connected to the battery terminals, but I don't need so much accuracy for this.

Ossian

From ebay. In conjunction with a flying socket, the wiring points used are the battery neg. and the switched feed to the rear brake switch as it is readily accessable.

ChillMan

I'm curious what could happen if battery is low. What's a "sprag issue" in this context?

VABird

Another inexpensive option if you have a 12V plug (for your GPS etc.) is this:
(I have no stake in this) but bought a similar one with Fahrenheit. Seems to work well.
Since I keep a GPS mounted, I don't have this installed all the time, but occasionally plug it in to check volts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIGITAL-VOLTAGE-TEMPERATURE-METER-CAR-CIGARETTE-LIGHTER-THERMOMETER-VOLT-GAUGE/301436393255?epid=18009537940&hash=item462f025727:g:ccMAAOSwmUdUYWPZ
The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.
John 3:16

Jayell

Four bucks on ePay.

I chose not to wire directly to the battery as I have a big enough traffic jam there already. Rather, its wired to the speedo light, but even that consumes voltage. The meter reads about 1½ to 1¾ volts low, but that's okay, the numbers are relative.
2002 Tiger 955i, 2011 Thruxton, 2020 Moto Guzzi V85TT

Timbox2

Another 100K'r   :>< :><

Ah, KM's?  Still nice to see
2016 Tiger Sport

threepot

Quote from: ChillMan on June 07, 2018, 01:24:43 PM
I'm curious what could happen if battery is low. What's a "sprag issue" in this context?

Attempting to start bike with a not fully charged battery can put a 'strain' on the mechanism,causing it to fail?
95 Super111
96 Tiger