News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Possible warped front rotor?

Started by Bliker, July 14, 2005, 12:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bliker

Has anyone else had this problem? When I apply the front brake it feels like the front rotor may be warped. I've had to replace rotors in a truck before and the bike has the same feeling when using the front brake. It's a 2004 Tiger with about 6,000 miles on it. I'm not an extremely aggresive rider, so the breaks have not been hammered. I don't know if a new set of brake shoes may help. I'll be going in for the 6k service soon and I'll point it out to them.
2004 Tiger

thylacine

My 04 just had one of the discs replaced (under warrantee) at 16 000 km

Other disc being replaced at 20 000

Others on this site have experienced the same.

kpresco2

Recently had the rotors replaced on my 05 model - sounds like the same problem.

BykBoy

On both my Tigers (99 and 01), rotors warped after about 10K miles (heavy vibrating from the front while braking).

For my 99 cat, I had them replaced by a Triumph dealer in Denver, CO with stock. The warping simptoms came back after about 10K miles.

On my 01 cat, my car mechanic friend said the brakes were warped just by looking at them. He said you can tell the discs are warped when you see darker areas on the rotors. He was right of course. This time, I ordered new EBC rotors from here and I'm going to put them on myself (way cheeper then stock and dealer  :lol: ). It took a while to get them because they were on back order. That's OK cause they gave me the rotors for $109 each instead of $139 each...  8) .

Brake pads were $21.95 per side.

From the EBC catalog:

Front (spoked wheel)

Rotros: MD649 (RS & LS)

Brake Pads: FA196

Rear

Rotor: MD643

Brake Pads: FA215/2

My friend told me to make sure I tighten the bults in a cross pattern to and make sure they are all tightened with the same torque to prevent warping.
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

Bliker

I'll point this out at the 6k service and hopefully it will be replaced under waranty. If not, I guess I'll go for an aftermarket front disk. I haven't noticed it on the rear brakes.
2004 Tiger

Green Geck0

My '02 tiger is in the shop right now for it's 3rd set of rotors. Even though it's out of warranty Triumph is going to cover it.

Curtis Ross

Calgary, Alberta

lostsos

I am having a similar issue with my 05.  I let a friend ride it for a second opinion who compared it to the pulsing felt with ABS.  I am at 4000 miles.  Anyway, I also noticed a shimmy that I feel when taking 45mph or slower turns to the LEFT.  The bike feels fine to the right, or straight up.  I have the chain adjusted properly and checked tire pressure.  Any ideas?
02 Daytona CE

05 Tiger

marko

At 3600 mi. on my 05 I believe the rotors are warped.Went to the dealer today and am awaiting a reply from Triumph.
\"Get on your bad motor scooter and ride\"

Aussie Tiger

I don't know whether this will help but I had a problem with pulsating brakes on my Landcruiser.  It turned out that the brake pads i was using were too hard.  I had mistakenly fitted these (supposedly designed for 4WD's) to get more life out of a set of pads.  The downside being that it starts wearing away at the disks causing high and low spots, thus making the brakes feel like they are pulsating/vibrating. Apparently even 1/1000th of an inch difference across the surface can be enough to cause the problem. If possible, see if there are softer pads available for the Tiger.  Yes they will wear out sooner but are probably cheaper than constantly replacing disk rotors!
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

Never regret growing old...Its a privilege not afforded to many!