News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Water Pump Leaking ?

Started by fishnbiker, November 18, 2018, 10:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishnbiker

Greetings from western Canada.  :icon_scratch: I have a small leak in my water pump, most likely the O-ring/seal that separates the impeller shaft from outside. Not a serious issue, only enough to stain the pump & baby a drop on the garage floor after a long ride. In the parts list it's a one piece unit (but we all know better don't we?). Topping water only monthly if at all. Just wondering if anyone has ever tried to remove/replace the impeller successfully? I have a spare, also leaking a bit, to test if I can get inside it

Thanks,
Ken / Fishnbiker
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Timbox2

Funny thing is the original workshop manual talks about inspecting shaft, bearings,  impeller etc and replacing if necessary, maybe they meant replace with complete pump?

Link here to a Triumph Rat thread about the same, he seemed to think you might destroy the pump trying to press the impeller shaft out?

https://www.triumphrat.net/daytona-deliberations/255186-leaking-water-pump.html
2016 Tiger Sport

threepot

Probably pump housing seal? Buy on ebay.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Lee337

Interesting what the post in Triumphrat (post 6) says about using motorcycle specific coolant and not using automotive (I read this as car) coolant.

A little research suggests Propylene glycol is best to use for bikes rather than ethylene glycol. Been playing with both bikes & cars for many years & never heard of that.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

HockleyBoy

Me neither, always stick the cheap blue stuff from Eurocarparts in mine and it seems to be fine.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

London_Phil

Blue stuff, changed at least every two years..

fishnbiker

Thanks for the input. I may have an engine builder friend look into pulling the impeller on my leaking spare, to see if there are replaceable seals inside. TTFN.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE