News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Manual chain oiler

Started by Mart, March 18, 2019, 12:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mart

Just fitted a second hand Tutoro manual chain oil to my steamer.

Using a thumbwheel control, you have to remember to turn it on when you start, and off when you stop. The position of the thumbwheel also controls the flow.

First trip, set the thumbwheel to one turn out as per the instructions...

The oil reservoir is supposed to last 100 miles or so - it emptied its contents over the sprocket, chain, and back wheel in 4 miles.......

ssevy

I installed a Scottoiler and it has been great.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Mart

Hey Sevvy,
Where did you located the Scottoiler reservoir?

Newsman

Hello I have a Scottoiler too which I find works really well the reservoir is at the front of the battery box against the main frame downtube under the tank rear mounting bracket its sounds awkward but its not

ssevy

Quote from: Mart on March 18, 2019, 02:55:09 PM
Hey Sevvy,
Where did you located the Scottoiler reservoir?
Mounted mine on my RH crashbar. Fits well.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Geoff W

I tried one of those Tutoro oilers, it never worked well, like you say either too much to too little, also the tube tended to deflect and deposit oil over other bits.
I took it off after a couple of years.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Mart

So do you use a chain oiler now?
The reason I'm keen to try one is to keep the chain wet and lube those rubber chain sliders at the front - the lower one seems to wear quickly.

Geoff W

No I had a Scotoiler originally, but again most of the oil seemed go all over the rear end, and after several years and about 15K miles it became rather erratic. So I tried the Torturo. Now I just remember to spray chainlube on it frequently. I do it after a ride when the chain is warm, then wheel the bike back into the garage to spread the oil around onto the links I cannot get to. I only have a sidestand fitted so this works to spread the lube around. When my conscience plays up I wheel it back and forth in order to get a good amount all over the chain. Chain and sprockets seem to last well, no real difference to when I had the Scotoiler.
The only problem I had was when touring around Eastern Europe, I had forgotten to take some lube with me and had to resort to cycle chain lube as that was all I could find in that area of Poland.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.