News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Head Gasket

Started by Newsman, April 19, 2019, 08:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newsman

Hello
So before Fitting my new Shock I decided to change the oil in my 97 Steamer and what did I find? Water in the oil! now I am going to spend the bank holiday stripping the engine, one part bothers me and that is pulling the bores, I remember seeing a Post where someone put together a tool out of what looked like plumbing equipment to do this but I cannot find the post now does anyone remember what it was? also any other tips would be gratefully revived.
I will try to take pictures as I go along and post them afterwards
Thank you
Andre     

ssevy

Hi Andre
Look at the sticky section above your post for my engine rebuilding thread. That's the one to which you are referring I think?
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

ssevy

ssevy

Newsman

Thank you that was the very thing thats great

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

Newsman

Hi Threepot
Thats very useful thank you I have not lifted the head yet there is the small matter of the nuts on the Header studs there is not much of them left but they are really putting up a fight, although there is definitely water in the oil (margarine on the dipstick) there was no oil in the water and the bike starts and runs as sweet as it ever did. a long time ago I worked in a Skoda garage the Estelle had wet liners you could take them out by had but they were sods to do as they had to be shimmed to the correct height above the block.   
Thank again
Andre   

Newsman

I did some damage to my back so I have not been able to work on the bike until today as I started to remove the head and was getting the Cams ready to remove while the Timing chain was under tension the two Arrows on the cam sprockets did not line up when the crankshaft was on T1 once I had removed the chain tensioner they did nearly they were about 1 tooth out.
In the Haynes manual it says they should be lined up before the tensioner is removed. my bike has always started and run well but should the timing marks be lined up when the chain is under tension? I would have thought they should have lined up if the chain is tight or loose
What do you think?

Andre

bowyer2002

@Newsman - I just completed the valve shim job on my '95 - by lifting up the cams & hopefully not allowing the chain to slip and teeth. During reassembly, I too noticed that the cam arrows didn't line up (with the tensioner installed). But, when I got it assembled, it fired right up and revved to 6K without problems. I wish I had a photo of my cam arrows arrangement.

Newsman

Hello bowyer2002
sorry for the delay in replying I have just got back from a trip to France on my Tiger, when I installed the cams I matched the marks as best I could they were not pointing exactly at each other but were less than one tooth out it fired up straight away and has just done more than 500 miles without a problem so I think it must be ok
Andre