News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

01 girly won't start after sitting

Started by Zsolt, April 23, 2019, 02:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zsolt

I was hoping you guys can give me some tips how to diagnose a no fire issue. I had parked the bike in the fall and it's been sitting there since. It was really low on fuel when I parked it, so I just put some in, charged the battery, it cranks but does not even try to start. I had owned this bike for about 10 years, and it has always started so this is a first for me.

I shifted in and out of gear and it's in neutral, the light also comes on. I don't know if the sidestand switch went bad I have never had an issue with it. All the fuses check out.

I can hear the fuel pump coming on when I turn the ignition on and off. I wonder if because of the low fuel something had dried out, and maybe got plugged up? The bike is in the parking garage, so it's not exactly a place I can do major work, and I am really hoping I don't  have to...

I just scanned the bike and getting
P1231 - Fuel pump relay open circuit or short ground
P0230 - Fuel pump relay default

Is this a bad fuel pump?

How do I check if the fuel pump is actually pumping fuel? I have no pressure gauge and the service manual states not to run the fuel pump with any of the hoses removed.

Any other tips?
Thanks in advance

Lee337

No experience of this myself, but the error codes would suggest the fuel pump is at fault.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Chris Canning

You always have To have a start point and in my book that would be the battery just because it turns the engine over is no indicator of anything after that check as many connections as possible including the sidestand,i'd Also be interested to see if you could bump start it.

We went to Le-Mans last weekend getting off the ferry at 9.30pm and the guy on the 955 next to me was turning his Tiger over with not a glimmer until boom it sparked into life after probably 4/5 attempts they sometimes are not an exact science.

Timbox2

If you can hear the pump, to check whether its actually operating properly,  after switching ignition off cover with a cloth or similar and maybe wear goggles then carefully disconnect one of the fuel pipes, be careful  as petrol may spray. There should be a bit of pressure
2016 Tiger Sport

mark4

If I remember correctly, when the battery has been disconnected (or gone flat) a while you get those error codes anyway. That said, it may still be the fuel pump. You could use a cheap ODB scanner to remove the codes (or TuneEcu) and see if they come back? That might rule out the pump or not?

Also, if taking off a fuel pipe DO wear goggles and face protection as I made the mistake of disconnecting a fuel pipe last year and forgot it is under pressure....so I got a big eyeful of fuel, not pleasant at all..!