News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fairing Hardware Orientation

Started by 98TIGA, June 20, 2019, 06:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98TIGA

Hey, guys! So here's the skinny... I bought a fairing hardware kit on Ebay several months ago (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-Tiger-900-T400-855cc-1993-1998-Stainless-Fairing-Bolts-Screen-Bolt-Kit/131697353413?epid=544723506&hash=item1ea9c622c5:g:KRoAAOSw~4VbVi6d) and I've finally got around to installation. I know the kit came with hex-head bolts to replace the belly pan (which I won't be swapping out for the originals, but I still have quite a few leftover bits.

I seem to have more of the spire clips than is indicated in the listing... I believe several of them are actually larger in terms of the bolt they accept and of a different style than the others. Are the three bolts beneath the front cowling/headlights larger than the others?

Also, the spacers seem to be so thin that there's about 1/8" of play between the fairing and the tank. Has anyone else with this kit experienced this issue? Shrinkage of the panels/tank, perhaps?

Lastly, regarding the well nuts (please refer to photos) I'm assuming this is how they're intended to mount? It was a major pain getting them through the holes in the bracket. I didn't spot any nuts to go on the backside of the cowl mounting bracket in my original bag of bolts. Instructions with this kit or labels on the packaging would have been most helpful here!

I guess I need to start taking more "before" photos before jumping in with both feet in the future. Thanks, guys!
'98 Tiger, '12 Bonneville SE, '91 K100RS

bowyer2002

IF I recall correctly, there is no difference in the bolts (length or diameter) at the bottom of the fairing (below the headlights) and the fairing sides.
HOWEVER, where the fairing connects to the instrument cluster frame - those bolts were smaller.

98TIGA

Thanks for chiming in-- I knew I could count on you! I ended up having to use the three larger spire clips with M6 bolts for the lower cowl, as I didn't have enough M5 bolts (or clips) to do the deed. Perhaps I don't have all the hardware in its proper place, but the thing's together and there are no loose panels, so I guess I've achieved a certain amount of success here. I was a little surprised the kit didn't include the bits necessary to replace the side covers or rear seat cowling, but the shop owner offered to send me those so I'd have stainless steel hardware all the way around.
'98 Tiger, '12 Bonneville SE, '91 K100RS