News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Anemic Horns at Idle

Started by 98TIGA, June 23, 2019, 07:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98TIGA

Just as the title says: my horns are anemic-sounding at idle but improve dramatically in output as RPMs raise. Is this common? Too much current draw to sufficiently power them at idle?
'98 Tiger, '12 Bonneville SE, '91 K100RS

bowyer2002

How is your battery? My 1978 2-stroke enduro has the same problem, at idle the horn is anemic - while revved up and riding the horn is much louder.
Could be a stator issue too - maybe check it's output with a voltmeter?
Good luck!

98TIGA

Thanks for the info! Horn seems to work fine at 1,100+ RPM, but below that is noticeably quieter. I suppose I don't really need a horn when stopped (except for perhaps getting those distracted drivers to go on green), but I just wanted to make sure this was out of the ordinary before trying to resolve a non-issue.

bowyer2002

98TIGA

Those are very nice! I'll have to look into a pair.

Call me paranoid, but I wonder if there's any link to dim headlights/weak horn at idle and DAR.