News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2005 or 2006 tiger which is better

Started by Bigpussy, July 11, 2019, 10:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigpussy

I'm in the US and see two triumph tigers
Up for sale...I  have never owned one but
rode a friends 2001 tiger 150 miles
And wanted to keep going and never get off...heehee
So
The 2005 has only 9k miles and is $3500
The 2006 has 38k miles and is $3000
Also has a Corbin and two sets of tires and a top box
Thoughts?

HockleyBoy

Personally I would go for the lower mileage and try and knock them down a bit on price, not much to choose between the two models but in my personal experience the clutch can be more problematic on the 06 as it was the transition year for the Tiger
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Tiger-G

I'd always say go newer, but you can't argue with the mileage !!  If it's a genuine 9K, and you can check it's genuine, I'd go for that one   :icon_biggrin:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Tony

Also go with the lesser amount of owners the bikes have had. Don't know if it's the same in the us to UK for info in the logbook, the more owners its had more likely the bike has problems and been passed around abit

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Tony on July 12, 2019, 03:08:22 PM
Also go with the lesser amount of owners the bikes have had. Don't know if it's the same in the us to UK for info in the logbook, the more owners its had more likely the bike has problems and been passed around abit

I agree with this, looking for a 1050 Sport at the moment and have come across a couple of 2018 bikes that have already had three owners, does make you wonder!
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Tony

Chris Canning

Timbox is your man he's had both bikes the same they ain't.

Bigpussy

Any chance you can get timbox to
Share his thoughts here?
I haven't been able to reach him
Much obliged

HockleyBoy

For what its worth I own an 05 model and an 06 and generally the 05 was less trouble overall up to the cam chain slipping which was a biggy!, the 06 clutch has been for me a nightmare since about 50k.

I covered about 70k miles on the 05 and just under 130k miles on the 06.

Bigpussy

I've heard about clutch problems on the 06
And you confirmed that for me ...thanks for
Sharing your experience...was your Caspian blue the 06?
Would you avoid the 2001
I can get one for $1500 with 22 k miles but it's had several
Owners and some known starting issues

HockleyBoy

My 06 is the Caspian Blue (its on an 05 plate but is the 06 model with 1050 casings etc).

I cant really advise on the 01 but I have to say I have never had starting issues with either of my Tigers generally they have been very reliable from that point of view. Its fair to say that most 2001 bikes will have had more than one owner by now so that shouldn't be too much of a consideration.

If the starting issues related to charging issues then I wouldn't worry too much loads of Tigers have had this problem as you will see from this site and you can deal with it relatively easily but factor in the cost of stator, regrec and possibly battery if you need them.

Bigpussy

By the way
There is a beautiful 2006
Caspian blue...Two owner
40k mile tiger for $3000 us
Comes with two sets of tires
And a Corbin seat and triumph
Performance exhaust and 3 matching
Cases...?

Chris Canning

Quote from: Bigpussy on July 16, 2019, 03:16:59 AM
Any chance you can get timbox to
Share his thoughts here?
I haven't been able to reach him
Much obliged

He'll be along shortly.

ghulst

Just from a completely different angle, I would rather have a bike that has been regularly run, than one that has mostly been sitting. If the 05 only has 9K, that is just 9000 miles in 14 years. That means just a quick round to a bar and back once every year. Once you start really riding a bike like that, you can still get into a lot of trouble with things that have just gotten worse from not being used. Not ideal to say the least. ;)

Well, that's my opinion anyway. But I am just coming off a GS with 160K on its clock that worked flawlessly as did my 90K Tiger 900.
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Timbox2

Sorry, been busy with the Austrian Nutter :icon_biggrin:

Depends whos buying really

In some respects, aesthetics more than anything really, I did prefer the earlier wire wheel Tiger, that is until I had a high speed blow out, Tubes may be ok for off-road bikes, wouldnt want them again.
In my opinion the pick of the bunch would be a 2004/5 with the single fuel hose, but before they changed to the 1050 Engine cases and new clutch. The ally wheels look loads better if powder coated black

But, if your short on stature the wire wheel Tiger is easier to lower as you can swivel the eccentric chain adjusters 180.

Whatever you choose, budget for Fork springs and a decent rear shock
2016 Tiger Sport