News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Lowering Link Install?

Started by 98TIGA, July 24, 2019, 06:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98TIGA

Can anyone whose installed the lowering kit from Lust Racing offer up some advice on installation? I bought the -40mm kit; already dropped the front forks through their yokes by 25mm. I also have a center stand. I'd imagine I'll need to loosen the chain adjuster bolts and reduce the rear shock to its lowest dampening setting? Would you just jack up the wheel at that point in order to to acquire the added distance between the mounting holes?
'98 Tiger, '12 Bonneville SE, '91 K100RS

ssevy

When I reinstalled my engine, I used a ratchet strap through the rear wheel and over the seat to help line things up. Might help?
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

98TIGA

That's a great idea!  Why didn't I think of that?

98TIGA

I got the -40mm links installed; I also dropped the front forks through their yokes by 25mm. I'm really liking the new ride height! Unfortunately, I'm less than enthused with the lean angle of the bike when it's on its sidestand. I cut the stand down by roughly 1" and welded a larger base plate on. It must've warped slightly during the welding process, because it's not sitting perfectly (or even remotely) flat.. What do you guys think? Back to the drawing board on this one?

bowyer2002

When will you find a perfectly level kickstand surface? I'd leave it alone and move on.

Geoff W

Mine is much more skewed than that. It doesn't bother me , but that's because I am not an engineer.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

98TIGA

Thanks, you two. I'm not as concerned with the bowed base as I am the lean angle. I don't allow my kids to play around the motorcycles, but they don't always mind Dad. I'd never forgive myself if the bike toppled over on top of one of them. I see some of these guys on the forums bragging about how upright their Tigers are, but surely you don't want it too vertical..? How do you know if it's too much or not enough?

bowyer2002

Kids, that is a good point - how much force does it take to get the bike weight off the kickstand & past the balance point to tipping over? This could be checked with a fish scale. Then, can your kids produce that much force?
I also have the 40mm Lust lowering kit on my Tiger and with the OEM un-modified kickstand and it looks to have more lean than your modified kickstand does.
I like a little more lean too so when I park it and come back to it my bike is still upright!
The lowering kit does effect the parked lean angle for sure!

ssevy

I usually keep my Tiger on the centerstand in the garage for better stability, and because it takes up less space. I also like it on the centerstand when I am loading it for a trip. If the lowering link swap prevents easy use of the centerstand, you might want to buy or make an inexpensive wheel chock and mount it to a sheet of plywood for easily moving it when necessary.
I have the opposite issue and carry a hockey puck to raise my side stand when fully loaded, as I have really buggered up my back while getting it off the side stand when on a multi day ride (sleeping in a tent doesn't help much either).
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

98TIGA

Thanks for the tip! That's sound advice. Going forward, if I'm ever concerned about the lean angle (or lack thereof), I'll just put it on its center stand for peace-of-mind.

Putting the bike on the center stand requires a little bit different technique to get it up in the air, but it's still manageable.