News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2005-06 questions and weight reduction

Started by slovcan, August 02, 2019, 10:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slovcan

Hi folks,

New guy here. I did introduce myself in the right place, but that was just a few minutes ago, so you don't know me, yet. Anyway, I'm in the market for a new (to me) bike. My 1999 Trophy 900 has been super faithful for 112,000 kms (and still is, but currently working through 3 simultaneous and unrelated snags). It never hurts to have a spare bike, right?

So, the Trophy is heavy, top heavy and carbureted (I know, not a real word). So, for my old age I think I'd like something lighter and fuel injected with more leg room. I have short listed to the 2005-06 Tiger 955i and a popular Japanese ADV bike (you know what that is!).

The Japanese one has a weight advantage, but with bags and trunk, maybe not so much. So, the next consideration is how high the weight is. I expect the Tiger to be just as top heavy as my Trophy, but would like it to be significantly lighter overall. The Trophy is really about 525-550 lbs with fuel and everyday stuff in the bags (tools, compressor, jumper cables and such). Ideally, I'd like to shed 50 lbs with the new bike.

The muffler is higher up on the Tiger than the Trophy, but there is only one. I put Delkevic cans on my Trophy that surely saved 20 lbs, maybe more. If I put a Delkevic can on the Tiger, how much weight savings do you think there would be? I have searched and haven't found the answer.

Also, is there any difference in the 2005 and 2006 in Canada? Different markets get different bikes sometimes, so not sure I can apply some of the answers I have seen to my situation. Some say the 2005 & 2006 have 120ish HP versus the earlier models' 104 HP. Some say only the 2006 had more power. Some say the 2005-06 both have the 1050 case with the easier pulling clutch cable setup, while others say only the 2006 got the upgrade. Then there is the question of clutch reliability on the 2006? What is that about?

All help appreciated.

Cheers,
Glenn

Tiger-G

Hi mate,

Welcome to the forum  :icon_biggrin:

You don't say how tall you are, or how much you weigh ??  I'm 1.86m and 98kg and the Tiger doesn't feel top heavy to me, it feels just right  :icon_wink:

I'm trying to think of a way to put this politely ??........there are a lot of riders riding bikes that are just too big and heavy for them  :^_^
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

slovcan

Quote from: Tiger-G on August 02, 2019, 11:11:01 AM
Hi mate,

Welcome to the forum  :icon_biggrin:

You don't say how tall you are, or how much you weigh ??  I'm 1.86m and 98kg and the Tiger doesn't feel top heavy to me, it feels just right  :icon_wink:

I'm trying to think of a way to put this politely ??........there are a lot of riders riding bikes that are just too big and heavy for them  :^_^

:icon_wink: Hi Tiger-G,

Thanks! Don't worry, I don't care about polite. Facts are more important. I'm not ready for a H-D yet  :icon_evil: . I am 182cm and probably 100-105 kg in my riding gear. No, my top heavy issues were either stopped or nearly stopped on a loose surface. When a Trophy starts to go over all you can do is get out of the way.

In practical terms, the Trophy isn't easy to push around the driveway and garage. If it was 20 kg lighter, it would be more manageable.

Cheers,
Glenn

mark4

I'm 6'3" 110kg and yes, the Tiger 955i IS top heavy. It's well known for it..

That said, if you are ultra careful at low speed manoeuvring - pulling away while turning or when wheeling it around, it shouldn't be a problem.

But yes, it is top heavy and must be respected for that quirk. I've had close shaves and it is an unwieldy beast, but I love it for it's adaptability, rounded lines and the fact it is pretty unique to look at!  :icon_lol:

Chris Canning

When it comes to HP there's nothing between any of them.

Tiger-G

Hi Glenn,

I think at your height and weight, you shouldn't have any issues ??  :icon_scratch:

The only thing I can think of is to lower the seat and suspension to make it easier to get both feet down on loose surface's, and don't fill the tank too full ??

There's nothing I can think of to get the weight down, as manufacturers already do what they can to keep it down to a minimum.

And Mark......stop being a big girls' blouse, for someone your height and weight, there should be no issues with the bike. Sounds like your low speed riding skills need brushing up !!   :icon_wink:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

mark4

Quote from: Tiger-G on August 03, 2019, 11:49:27 AM
And Mark......stop being a big girls' blouse, for someone your height and weight, there should be no issues with the bike. Sounds like your low speed riding skills need brushing up !!   :icon_wink:

Ha ha yes I would agree they could do with some improvement  :>< but the best way to describe the (non) balance of low speed Tiger riding, is it's like having a pile of breeze blocks on your tank!  :icon_lol:

Tiger-G

Quote from: mark4 on August 04, 2019, 04:43:08 PM
Ha ha yes I would agree they could do with some improvement  :>< but the best way to describe the (non) balance of low speed Tiger riding, is it's like having a pile of breeze blocks on your tank!  :icon_lol:

Well, I wasn't expecting that reply Mark, so thanks for that, I was expecting a bollocking !! Nice to know we have a good sense of humour on here, and are ok with a bit of good natured banter  :icon_salut:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

slovcan

Quote from: Tiger-G on August 05, 2019, 10:32:19 PM
Well, I wasn't expecting that reply Mark, so thanks for that, I was expecting a bollocking !! Nice to know we have a good sense of humour on here, and are ok with a bit of good natured banter  :icon_salut:

Bl00dy He11, BRICKS on the gas tank??? I already have that with my Trophy! Somebody just tell me that changing to a Delkevic can will take a few bricks off the gas tank. Please.  :bug_eye

Also, if I lower the thing 1" front and rear, will I then be able to pick it up by myself if when I drop it in a loose gravel parking lot? For reference I have picked up my Trophy alone and a previous faired V65 Sabre (oil dry kitty litter at a gas pump!).

Chris Canning

It's possible to save weight on the Tiger  :icon_wink: but when given the option folks start dancing around their handbag about money  :icon_biggrin:

slovcan

Quote from: Chris Canning on August 06, 2019, 06:07:01 PM
It's possible to save weight on the Tiger  :icon_wink: but when given the option folks start dancing around their handbag about money  :icon_biggrin:

Umm, OK. Thanks for that.

Chris Canning

In my life time always found opinions and bank accounts are intrinsically connect  :icon_biggrin:

slovcan

Quote from: Chris Canning on August 07, 2019, 08:58:10 PM
In my life time always found opinions and bank accounts are intrinsically connect  :icon_biggrin:

You don't know me from Adam. You have information and seem to want to tell me that you have the information but don't want to share the information. That isn't really what forums like this are all about. Whatever. It takes all kinds to make a world. Ciao.

Chris Canning

There is all the info you will ever need to know about 955 Tigers and what you can do to them including what I have done to mine with plenty of photos on here it's called the search button and yes when i'm Looking for answers even after all these years I still use it was well.

atokad

The beast is super f'n heavy if you get off thinking you put your side stand down, but you really didn't.  DAMHIK, but you will at least break the glass in the mirror on the left side.  :icon_redface: