News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

scraping noise from rear swingarm I HATE CHAINS

Started by Feisty, December 18, 2019, 12:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feisty

Hello all. I have introduced  myself and my new steamer a few weeks ago in the intro section.
Quick recap. My 1st triumph 32,000km  tiger 900 not used in 6 years.

All issues mostly solved (thanks to this forum) except for a chain type rattle/scraping that occurs when riding the bike. Especially bad under front braking.  I checked the manual and parts diagrams and found the chain slider under the lower section of the chain was missing its rubber/nylon.
A new one was purchased (along with a new rubbing strip  (backorder)) and fitted. 
After a 30km ride the rubbing sound was still there and a third of the new chain slider material had worn off.
I then put a mate on the pillion seat and went for a ride. A combined weight of 160kg made the noise disappear completely.
I gather it is a ride height issue affecting the path of the chain.  This is my first chain driven bike in many years and the first with rubbing strips and long suspension travel etc. I really don't have a clue.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated

Cheers Mark

Mustang

You need to run the chain with at least a minimum of 1 1/4 inch free play .
Your chain is set way too tight .
With the bike on side stand set the free play at the above and you will be happy happy

Feisty

Quote from: Mustang on December 18, 2019, 01:02:15 PM
You need to run the chain with at least a minimum of 1 1/4 inch free play .
Your chain is set way too tight .
With the bike on side stand set the free play at the above and you will be happy happy

Thanks for that. I had a mate sit on it off the stand and checked it. It was about an inch up and down of free play.   Some research I have done suggests the position of the axle cam makes a difference.   My axle is at 7 o'clock (LHS) .  I just checked the chain as you suggested on the side stand and there is about 2 inches of free play.

Mustang

A new rubbing strip on the swingarm will make a difference  for excessive chain noise also

Feisty

Thanks I have one of them on backorder.

I backed off the spring from 3/4 tight to one quarter tight and the issue has disappeared thankfully.

Now to change the fork gators for yhe new ones that have just arrived.  Is this job as easy as 4 bolts and drop the forks out? I've never attempted it before.

Mustang

After you remove the front wheel and brake calipers and front fender

They will slide right out .

Now would also be a good time to change the fork oil too

Feisty

Thanks Mustang. I had the calipers, guard and wheel off recently to paint the forks so I can handle that. So it is just a matter of unbolting the fork tubes after that. Excellent. I gather they can only go back pointing straight so I should be able to manage that. I'll do some research on changing the fork oil. The p.o. changed the springs to a white power set just before he stopped riding it. Fork oil is cheap though so it is well worth doing.