News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Front brake fluid change - brake not releasing / dragging

Started by richierich75, February 23, 2020, 01:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richierich75

My Tiger has been stored for a few years. Recently moved it and thought it was hard work. Found the brake brake was dragging. So today changed the brake fluid. However it's not different. Indeed the brake is hardly releasing when the lever is pulled.

I guess this means the master cylinder needs rebuilding?

ssevy

More likely the parts exposed to the atmosphere have rusted. Check the pads and caliper slide pins. Could also be the pistons themselves at either the master cylinder end or the caliper end.
Red rubber grease is your best friend if you have to rebuild them.
I change the fluid every season, as it is cheap and pretty easy if you use a large syringe.
Think I've got a how-to with photos in the stickies?
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Beernard

I agree with Ssevy. Personally, I would attack the caliper first. Clean up the whole show if you can, push the pistons right in, use a little rubber grease (like Ssevy, mmmm...) where it seems like a good idea, bleed em and see what happens (tight-arse method). Otherwise, rebuild em real nice!
All the best,
Ripper, woke up again.

threepot

Agree. Got the same issue. Just replaced all the pads on mine. Id remove and clean pistons? Then replace seals? Their not expensive.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Lee337

While I have a Girly rather than a Steamer, I definitely agree with the above. When I got it, the front brake worked but was a bit spongy, the rear was binding. First thing I did was strip & rebuild the calipers with new seals. Then replaced all the fluid & pads. Now have working & firm brakes all round.

Only problem I have now is I've been riding all through the winter except for this last month. The discs are now rusty but a quick blast up the road will probably sort that out.

I also have a 1993 Trophy & have just finished rebuilding the calipers on that too.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.