News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer Alternator Swap

Started by fishnbiker, March 20, 2020, 06:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishnbiker

Many moons ago there were some comments about using the alternator out of a Kawasaki Concourse for more out put. While doing maintenance on mine I decided to try the swap. I'm finding the driven sprocket on the rubber cush drive won't come off. It moves 1 or2 mm then hits a solid stop. Slightly differing sprocket dimensions seem to need changing out the Concourse drive to the Tiger size.

Any suggestions to do or is it needed??

Thanks, Ken
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

fishnbiker

Update; these alternators are identical physical measurements, except for the drive sprockets. Just trying to learn how to remove & swap for the other.

The Councours unit on the left puts out 400w, 120w more than the OEM Tiger. If I can fit it.

Thanks, Ken
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Nick Calne

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

ssevy

That is a different swap than the one I remember, as the housings were not the same.
Pretty exciting to think that such an easy swap might be possible.
I have a great old shop in my area that rebuilds electric motors and sells starters, etc. (where I got my Denso starters for 1/5 of what Triumph sells them for), and I would encourage you to try to find a similar one in your area, as they can probably give you all the info about removing that drive.
If you don't have such a place in your area, maybe find the concours forum and post on there?
Good luck!

PS- I thought housing size was the limiting factor for output, as only so many wraps of copper could fit in a particular space, but if those output numbers are accurate, then Triumph could have done it, too. I wonder if it was price point, or some other engineering consideration that made them not do it?
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Beernard

Great initiative, Fisho,
Keep us posted.
Ripper, woke up again.

fishnbiker

Still digging on this question. I found this article from TriumphRat inmate N5XL ...

https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/dissecting-the-nd-25-amp-alternator.134079/

The Kawi units are interchangeable once the drive sprocket is exchanged for the Triumph one.

Seems I need some heat. More to come ...
Ken/Fishnbiker

fishnbiker

So I got the drive sprocket removed with the assistance of a propane torch to soften the resin glue & it pulled off easily. A quick clean & paint job. It's now on the bike awaiting testing once I finish rebuilding everything else.
Ken/Fishnbiker

ssevy

Did it feel much heavier than the original?
All of that extra copper wire should have made a difference?
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

bemusedinsojo

fishnbiker

I didn't even think about the weight. All installed now & not coming out again.

Concourse Year should be similar to the Steamers. I got this as a spare many years ago, so have no tracking on it now
Ken/Fishnbiker

bemusedinsojo

How is the alternator working? Any tips or tricks?

bemusedinsojo

I read the article you referenced. What a great idea. I am really interested in doing this.

fishnbiker

Quote from: bemusedinsojo on May 12, 2020, 11:49:57 PM
How is the alternator working?

Any tips or tricks?

Not yet know as the bike is undergoing restoration with a couple of months still to start up.

The Cush drive change out requires heating to melt out the epoxy glue holding it in place after the bolt is removed.
Ken/Fishnbiker