News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Pistons, the seized brake variety.

Started by Nick Calne, April 29, 2020, 08:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

Next up in corona world. Brake service... Pistons firmly seized in the calipers.

All now off the bike and in bits. Any suggestions other than launching a profanity filled tirade and throwing a tantrum?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

London_Phil

Very few second hand units around now.
Given the prices, it might be worth sending them away for a rebuild?
If you can force the pistons out, then some stainless replacements should be available. Think the piston is common to many bikes.
Just throw more money at it...you know you want to...

Nick Calne

I have ordered some replacement piston units already.  It is my own fault I think the last time I replaced the seal was about 2011.

That wasnt long ago, was it?

ssevy

Air compressor and hold a rag around the exit route with the piston facing away from you. Kaboom!
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

fishnbiker

SSevy's solution may work with one piston but there are 2 in each calliper. A 50-50 mix of acetone & automatic transmission fluid, ATF, (the second choice would be penetrating oil) squirted all around the piston & left overnight should make it susceptible to a proper piston removal pliers. An ultrasonic cleaning & mild scraping (hard plastic or wood tool with a small flat like a screwdriver) in the seal grooves may be needed to prepare the calliper for rebuild. These grooves MUST be clean & smooth to not leak later. I usually do this every 2nd or 3rd year as a preventative.

Edit: If it becomes necessary to search out a calliper, Honda used the same, just keep the 27mm sizing & whether left or right mount in mind when searching the spares in similar vintages.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Beernard

Hi Nick and everyone,
All good tips as usual. Thanks everyone. In this situation, I also like to push the pistons all the way in with a small g-clamp before using Fishnbikers or Ssevy's methods. Just to help break up the corrosion.
Also "Kaboom". Thanks Ssevy. Years ago, I had the first piston attempted (after deciding that this was the "go") sail past my head like a "solid" 12 gauge projectile and smack a nice dent in the roofing iron of my shed! Lucky! Lots of rags and a fat hand from now on! Fishnbikers point about the second piston has to be considered, too. Again, I have used 2 small g-clamps to limit the pistons  travel until they are nearly entirely out. Fiddly, but safer! There are other ways to achieve this result, also, with a bit of thought.
Also I love Fishnbikers attention to the detail of cleaning these poor old things up. I totally agree.
Regards and all the best,
Ripper, woke up again.

Nick Calne

Thanks chaps.

I have extricated one set using the method similar to Fishinbiker's suggestion. The other is still sat in penetrating oil.

I dont have an air line sadly.

Annoyingly, I ordered a service kit and it came with a leaflet saying they offer a refurb service including a repaint for only a little more than the kit!

Still it is looking good on one side.

ssevy

Quote from: fishnbiker on May 01, 2020, 07:52:38 AM
SSevy's solution may work with one piston but there are 2 in each calliper. A 50-50 mix of acetone & automatic transmission fluid, ATF, (the second choice would be penetrating oil) squirted all around the piston & left overnight should make it susceptible to a proper piston removal pliers. An ultrasonic cleaning & mild scraping (hard plastic or wood tool with a small flat like a screwdriver) in the seal grooves may be needed to prepare the calliper for rebuild. These grooves MUST be clean & smooth to not leak later. I usually do this every 2nd or 3rd year as a preventative.

Edit: If it becomes necessary to search out a calliper, Honda used the same, just keep the 27mm sizing & whether left or right mount in mind when searching the spares in similar vintages.

This is the more detailed thread about what I did to rebuild my brakes, including how I dealt with the double piston removal. Maybe someone will find it helpful:

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,15303.0.html

I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Nick Calne

All done.

Just gotta replace the speedo unit on the axle.

Then do the forks. Contemplating a full going over including new powder coat for the legs.

Ah then look at the engine cases.

And the swingarm also need recoating.

Oh and the heated grips.

And a big service including valves.

Some new tyres too.

HockleyBoy

At least you are not getting bored during the lockdown  :icon_lol:
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Nick Calne

Ha no not so much with the steamer.

At the moment it just needs love and attention in one big session and it will last for another 10 years perhaps.

Hard bike to work on though.

GavD

You've inspired me Nick, my steamers not been on the road for 18 months or so.

Needs a new battery, carbs removed and cleaned, and I need new front brake discs.

Had considered trying to get it back to standard, removing the sprint front end and going back to spoke wheels, but I might save that for next winter. I've got a NOS steamer back wheel, and a NOS BEHR front rim that I need to lace onto my existing front hub. The rest of the bits I removed when I converted it, are stored in the garage roof, so would just need a bit of a refurb.

All my other bikes have received some TLC in the past few weeks, so the steamer is the last one, hope it forgives me for shoving it at the back of the garage under a sheet.

'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Nick Calne

Excellent!  They are hard going but steamers are a lovely thing to ride.

HockleyBoy

Its an ill wind and all that

Good to know some older bikes are getting some attention they probably wouldn't have got if we were all out riding.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Nick Calne