News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Leaking carbs

Started by bemusedinsojo, May 09, 2020, 08:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bemusedinsojo

Hello all,
I went to start my steamer but no go-out of gas.  Put a gallon in and was greeted with the pungent aroma of 91 octane streaming from the rear of the carb bank. I turned off the fuel tap and started tearing down. Anyway, why would it randomly start leaking while sitting? Any ideas?
Edit: I had a problem previously that was corrected by new needle valves and polishing the seats. This looks to be leaking from somewhere else. My guess is the fuel "T" piece. How hard to separate the carbs?

London_Phil

I think I would try to mock up a feed, and try to identify where the leak was coming from, before ripping into the carbs.
It may just be perished hose.
You appear to have the Keihins, which were only fitted on later bikes in the UK.

GavD

I've got keihins

I've had a similar problem in the past and it was always the float valves not closing properly.

Every time I've had the carbs out I've looked at the plastic T piece, and although it looks like it's got the potential to fail it seems to be ok.

I agree with Phil though, I've done this in the past to prove I've fixed it. Fuel tank on the workbench, carbs on the shelf below and let the fuel through.

To answer your question though, I've never separated the carbs, not sure how difficult it is.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

bemusedinsojo

I thought my carb problem days were over. I'll do what you suggest. Is there a way to run something besides fuel to test? Thanks for the idea. I'll get on it today now that the curfew is over.

ssevy

My money is on one of the float needles. All it takes is just a speck of something to get between the needle and the seat to cause your issue.
I would use a syringe full of sea foam, and inject it through a tube attached to the float bowl drain plug. I would do one at a time, flushing back and forth to close and reopen the needle several times, and then move on to the next.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

bemusedinsojo

I will try that. Great ideas guys. :><

bemusedinsojo

I cleaned and bench tested. The gas is leaking from the middle carb bowl gasket. I was fuming until I realized that I replaced these in 2016. And I've only put about 500 miles on it in two years. So age and neglect is why.

ssevy

Glad you found it!
There is nothing more discouraging than to go out in your garage and smell raw fuel! I remember it well from when I had petcock issues.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

bemusedinsojo