News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

This site, Tigertriple.

Started by Nick Calne, July 23, 2020, 10:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

I spoke to the guy who owns this site, Geof.

He fixed whatever the problem was with it and we are up and running again.

We need to have a little discussion as to what happen next with the site, especially now Mustang is gone. We need some objectives / direction etc...

Your thoughts please.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Bixxer Bob

We've had private discussions already Nick, ihappymto carryon moderating for the time being.  I can't promise to be there every day like I used to, so am happy for anyone to prompt me if there's something I should take a look at.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Nick Calne

Can you look at the missing posts issue?

Chris Canning

I'm happy to go along with what ever works,there's way too much info on here to see it go down the tubes.

Bixxer Bob

I'm trying, but don't think I have the permissions
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

abruzzi

The posts seemed to be there when I brought it back up earlier today, but something happened that made them disappear.  So far it seems they are gone completely, but I'm at work right now and haven't had a whole lot of time to do a real forensic dive into the database and everything else.  The good news, I have backups of the database that I will potentially be able to restore from.  The bad news is it seems my most recent backup was from 7/1, so it seems highly likely that we'll lose ~22 days worth of posts.

If I have to restore from backup, this thread will disappear, but feel free to post here until then.  Unfortunately this happened at a bad time, and I'm very busy (our 911 center lost power for eight hours yesterday, killing my works datacenter, which I'm still working on recovering from.)  this means that it probably won't get restored until the weekend.

About the future of the site, what I told Nick is this:

While I'm still a Tiger owner, I simply do not have time to be a manager or moderator.  For that reason, I'm more than happy to consider the idea of transferring the site to someone else to maintain.  To do that, it will need to move to a web host that has PHP and MySQL (or MariaDB).  I'm happy to help with the migration, including transferring the domain, but as evidenced by the current missing posts issue, it does require someone with the technical chops to deal with these occasional issues. 

My other potential concern is this:  I created TigerTriple 14 years ago from the ashes of triumph-tiger.com.  The owner had gone completely MIA, but we were able to find a mod of the previous board that had access to do a data dump from the board software.  In those 14 years I haven't been a great landlord, some would say absentee, but I did keep things going and fix problems.  I would want to make sure that whomever it was transferred to isn't going to bore of the hassle and abandon it in a year.

Timbox2

2016 Tiger Sport

HockleyBoy

Thanks all for the work, would hate to see the site disappear.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Nick Calne

Very grateful for your work Geof. :><

abruzzi

well, the weird this is looking through a current (5 minutes ago) database dump, The size is basically the same, and I see post records in there. (i.e. search for 'bacon' turns up lots of hits of people discussing bacon...so I have to look harder to see why it sees those posts as missing.

abruzzi

well, apparently I did something right.  Everything looks like it is back.  I'll keep an eye on things, because, to be hones, I'm not sure what caused it, and I'm not sure why what I did fixed it...

BTW, I am still open to discussing the idea of a new home for Tiger Triple.  Please feel free to discuss.

Timbox2

Quote from: abruzzi on July 24, 2020, 09:34:36 PM
well, apparently I did something right.  Everything looks like it is back.  I'll keep an eye on things, because, to be hones, I'm not sure what caused it, and I'm not sure why what I did fixed it...

BTW, I am still open to discussing the idea of a new home for Tiger Triple.  Please feel free to discuss.

Whatever, your a star mate :><
2016 Tiger Sport

ssevy

I already posted on the other thread, but having just read this one, it sounds like whoever takes over needs some serious website chops?
Again, that doesn't describe me, but I'm happy to help and learn.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Bixxer Bob

Thanks Geoff. Like yourself, I've not been as active latterly, but happy to keep an eye on things until / if someone takes it on.

Timbox2

2016 Tiger Sport