News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Lamba O2 Delete

Started by Chris Canning, September 08, 2020, 08:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Actually fitted one a couple days ago,not ridden it yet but other bikes I have done it too have been a great improvement because the lamba isn't disappearing up it's own backside trying to find the perfecting fuelling,

Lee337

Got an O2 blanking gizmo in my spares box. Never used it as my Tigger seems to run fine.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Chris Canning

Every bike I have done it too has been major improvement,I need to get out and try it and find out...

Bostedsprocket

Its about time you got around to fitting it, i thought it lived in a fruit bowl next to you phone haha.
If its got titts or wheels it'll give ya trouble!!!

Chris Canning

Well it's fitted just too busy riding other bikes....

VABird

Quote from: Chris Canning on September 10, 2020, 08:47:52 PM
Every bike I have done it too has been major improvement,I need to get out and try it and find out...

Interesting. I tried it on my America LT, and it ran poorly.
I put the O2 sensors back in and much improved!
The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.
John 3:16

Chris Canning

Did you put the dongle into the wiring system when you took the O2 lamba out.

Bixxer Bob

Now then.

to get the best out of it, you have to first reset the fuelling trims (12 minute tune or throttle blip, depending on model) then disconnect the O2 sensor and fit the dongle to lock the trims at their factory setting.

Those of you have noticed a fueling inprovement after resetting trims, but then gradually go back to lumpiness will know it's no good locking the trims by disconnecting the sensor before you reset them.  Hope that makes sense.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

All depends on your take on what a lamba does or is therefore, yep i'll Hold my hands up and confess I was brainwashed into thinking they are all about chasing the perfect fuelling map...where in actual fact now... think they are a TUV con, and I say that on having taken them of several other bikes that run way better, that includes a K1200r Sport,KTM GT,S1000XR and i've Done some decent miles on those bikes not just run them around the block.

But in fairness haven't done many miles on the Tiger, but even on the initial start up noticed a major difference in throttle pick up because the ECU isn't trying to disappear up its own backside chasing the impossible.

VABird

Quote from: Chris Canning on September 19, 2020, 07:31:23 AM
Did you put the dongle into the wiring system when you took the O2 lamba out.

Yes. It's my understanding that it simply tells the ECU that there's one there, but it makes no adjustments.
The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.
John 3:16

Ossian

Quote from: Chris Canning on September 21, 2020, 08:48:22 AM
All depends on your take on what a lamba does or is therefore, yep i'll Hold my hands up and confess I was brainwashed into thinking they are all about chasing the perfect fuelling map...
I believe that all the normal narrow band lambda does is manage the air/fuel ratio at or near tickover. After about 1500 rpm it has no effect. If full rev range control is required a wide band lambda system is needed. And of course these are more expensive . Possibly Decosse will see this and chip in.

Bixxer Bob

First of all, I agree Chris.

Second, VA Bird, nearly.

And before we get into discussion, you have to be sure that EVERYTHING ELSE is working as it should.

The first point, which I don't think anyone disputes, is the bike runs best just after resetting the fuelling trims to factory settings.  On the Girlies, this is done by the throttle blipping method (in the "How to" section).

Second point, and I don't think this is disputed either, if you ride it and do nothing, within 20 miles it's trimmed itself back to whatever you didn't like in the first place.

So.

IF you're wanting to try what worked for me, after resetting the trims, before you run the engine further, and definitely before you ride it, you disconnect the O2 sensor where it plugs into the loom.  This disables the sensor and prevents the ECU reading it and adjusting the trims to meet emission levels present in the ECU. However, the ECU spots that it can't read the O2 sensor and illuminates the warning light on the dash and stores a fault or"trouble" code in its memory.

That's where the dongle comes in.  The dongle is no more that a resistor enclosed in a sealant to protect it, within a plug that fits the now empty socket in the loom where you unplugged the O2 sensor.  The resistance matches that of the O2 sensor and so the ECU does not detect that the O2 is now disconnected.  If you now ride it the trims will remain locked at factory settings, the ECU will be fooled by the resistor and be happy, and after three heat cycles will turn the warning light off.

Whether you now leave the sensor in the exhaust, or remove it and fit a bolt to blank off the hole, is entirely up to you.

I hope that clears that up :occasion14
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bigfeesh

Where in UK can u source a Lambda delete dongle?
Tiptop

Chris Canning

eBay Redline Superbikes.