News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sprocket - Opinions

Started by Green Geck0, July 27, 2005, 07:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Geck0

Anyone running a 18/46 setup on a newer Tiger? What are the revs & torque like compared to stock?

My dealer is having a tough time getting anything else but a 46 tooth rear in the timeframe that I need it in.

Thanks,

Curtis Ross

Calgary, Alberta

Quote from: "Green Geck0"Anyone running a 18/46 setup on a newer Tiger? What are the revs & torque like compared to stock?

I though that was stock!

NortonCharlie

That is stock on my 01 955.  I get 15 MPH per 1000 RPM (according to my GPS and assuming my tach is accurate) .  So 4000 RPM at 60 MPH 5000 RPM at 75 MPH etc.

Taking the current ratio into acount you come up with 38.333 MPH/1000 RPM for a 1:1 ratio.  to check any ratio just multiply this constant by the number of teeth on the countershaft then devide by the rear sprocket.

For example 18 countershaft 42 rear sprocket

38.3333*18/42=16.43 mph/1000rpm  

So 5000 rpm would get you 82 MPH or 75 mph at about 4560 rpm

I've been trying to teach basic math to new CNC machine operators so I might be getting to heavy into detail, or confusing the heck out of everyone.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

GatorTiger

Quote from: "NortonCharlie"That is stock on my 01 955.  I get 15 MPH per 1000 RPM (according to my GPS and assuming my tach is accurate) .  So 4000 RPM at 60 MPH 5000 RPM at 75 MPH etc.

I recently changed mine to be 19/44 and my RPM dropped about 10% at the same speed. But this seriously deminishes off-pavement-ing. Going about 17 mph in 1st at idle iss too fast in most situations (e.g. traffic jams!).

The ration is awesome for interstate criusing, though!!! I get 55 mpg @ 75!
Triumph Tiger - The ultimate riding machine! \";-)\"

Know this:  A clean Tiger is a dirty shame!!

BykBoy

Quote from: "GatorTiger"I recently changed mine to be 19/44 and my RPM dropped about 10% at the same speed. But this seriously deminishes off-pavement-ing. Going about 17 mph in 1st at idle iss too fast in most situations (e.g. traffic jams!).

Just do what I do: carry a 16 T front sproket with you for trips you plan on "off pavement-ing". Takes less then 15 min to swap... :twisted:

Quote from: "GatorTiger"The ration is awesome for interstate criusing, though!!! I get 55 mpg @ 75!

:shock: No way!  That's almost 330 miles per tank! :shock:  I  can hardely get 40 MPG with my 19/46 setup. #-o
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

fastslug

i only get 150 miles per tank. is that normal? or do i have problems?

ArizonaKid

I'm running a 19 tooth countershaft sprocket and a stock rear sprocket on my 02 Tiger.  The 19 toother is the stock item on the Sprint ST and cost me $55 I believe.  RPM's dropped about 400 at 75 mph.  Takes the edge off at highway speeds and isn't particularyly noticeable at take off.

By the way I have a brand new 19 tooth sprocket that I've never used that I'll take $30 for, if you're interested in going that route.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

GatorTiger

Quote from: "BykBoy":shock: No way!  That's almost 330 miles per tank! :shock:  I  can hardely get 40 MPG with my 19/46 setup. #-o

My driving style adds to that.. I'm usually easy on the throttle. And: haven't done a valve-job sinc 12k service (I'm at 30k now...). Never change a running system!!  8)

After 250 miles I usually get nervous and gas up. Only to put about 4.5 gals (US) in...

BykBoy

Quote from: "GatorTiger"My driving style adds to that.. I'm usually easy on the throttle. And: haven't done a valve-job sinc 12k service (I'm at 30k now...). Never change a running system!!  8)

Well, I'd better ease off the trottle... Poping these wheelies must be taking it's toll.

I'm not sure I agree with your valve adjustment theory... I'm not a mechanic, but my friend is... He always says to make sure you follow schedule maintenance and chainge the oil every 3000 miles. But hay, 55 MPG! What can I say...?
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

GatorTiger

Quote from: "BykBoy"Well, I'd better ease off the trottle... Poping these wheelies must be taking it's toll.

A little fun once in a while has to be... ;)

Quote from: "BykBoy"I'm not sure I agree with your valve adjustment theory... I'm not a mechanic, but my friend is... He always says to make sure you follow schedule maintenance and chainge the oil every 3000 miles. But hay, 55 MPG! What can I say...?

I meant that more in lines of "despite of no adjustment" as opposed to "because of". As soon as my garage is freed from all the moving boxes my cat will get quite a bit of TLC. Valve job included (at least a check)...

Quote from: "BykBoy"and chainge the oil every 3000 miles.

Total waste of money. If you use quality oil in the first place there's no need to change before the recommended 6000 mile intervals. Indipendant survey some while ago proved that even cheap crap oil will provide adequate protection for 5000 miles. So use fully synth and be happy.

Foxy

Quote from: "fastslug"i only get 150 miles per tank. is that normal? or do i have problems?

That's about what I get commuting, so it depends what sort of riding you're doing. How much fuel are you putting in when you fill up? I know on my bike the warning light and fuel gauge are both very much on the cautious side. I got 250 ish miles out of her once, before bottling it & filling up.

OTOH I've gotten 60mpg when ragging it around the countryside all day, so it can vary quite a bit.

Green Geck0

I checked when I got home and it is 46. I called the parts guy at the

dealer and he says the fiche shows 48. Weird since I bought it new

with no miles. They must have changed it somewhere along the line.

Thanks for all the replies.

Curtis Ross

Calgary, Alberta

fastslug

Quote from: "Foxy"
Quote from: "fastslug"i only get 150 miles per tank. is that normal? or do i have problems?

That's about what I get commuting, so it depends what sort of riding you're doing. How much fuel are you putting in when you fill up? I know on my bike the warning light and fuel gauge are both very much on the cautious side. I got 250 ish miles out of her once, before bottling it & filling up.

usually it costs £15 to fill up after 150 miles, the reserve light comes on not long after this. my daily commute is a 26 mile dash through the countryside, flat out as much as possible. ( i start work at 5.00 am, so no police about)

tomla

I like my 10/47 setup...tolerable offroad, great on the open road, ok in the city. a plus for gas mileage.