News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What's a Steamer?

Started by Aussie Tiger, August 03, 2005, 09:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aussie Tiger

Hi all, I'm posting this because I'm sure, like myself, there are a few of you who just go about using the term, "Steamer" for the older carb Tigers without really knowing why.  I finally decided to do a bit of reasearch after talking with my local dealer.  In general chit, chat the subject came up of the previous Tiger shape and I refered to it as being a Steamer to which I got a blank look!

This is the best information I can find.  The pre fuel injected Tigers are called Steamers because the carburetted engine is regarded as old tecnology as in steam engine or steam driven. Steam engines are also regarded as Big, Bulky and Tough like the shape of these Tigers.

Of course, things changed with the current shape Tiger.  Some refer to this as being a "Girly Tiger" because of it's suductive curves and more feminine shape. But there is also another reason. Something that is feminine is also referred to as being "effeminate". The beginning of this word is very close to efi (electronic fuel injection on later Tigers) as in efi-minate.

This was the best I could find from a bit of internet research and I hope it helps, but I am happy to be corrected if any of this information is incorrect.  In the end, regardless of whether you have a "Steamer" or a "Girly", as long as you enjoy riding it and it does what you want it to, then who cares!
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

Never regret growing old...Its a privilege not afforded to many!

apache

I was gonna ask that one next. Thanks for the info.