News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Recommended for '96 Tiger

Started by Aeschere, September 14, 2022, 10:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeschere

Sin_Tiger

Tempting but I don't think I could do it this year, enjoy  :*
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

gcloys

fishnbiker

Quote from: fishnbiker on May 06, 2023, 07:21:06 AMAnother more complicated mod that eases all maintenance there-after is an idea from the late MUSTANG (blessed be his name). I cut the sprocket cover off the oil reservoir portion. The clutch slave stays with the top for a quick access to the gear without all the other rigamarole you went through. Shown here with MUSTANG lowered pegs. I can give more info if interested.

Apologies on taking so long to explain the method. A lot of metal fabricating went into this, the planning was the most fun.

My plan here was to make chain & sprocket maintenance easier. By cutting the sprocket cover & clutch slave off the oil reservoir, it now comes off in a couple of minutes. I can now change a front sprocket completely in under 15 minutes with no oil mess. I can also check on the slave cylinder then.

I decided on a cut location close to the flat on the oil pot.

Making the cut as narrow as possible (read: Dremel blade thin)   helps for resealing the joint  with a strip of sticky tape backed 3mm weatherstrip. I change the tape every time the cover comes off, easier to clean the area. This is a rough guide you can play with.

These also show the approximate location of the new dipstick.

More to come.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

fishnbiker

This photo shows the fun part; making a new pour spout. Using a short length of 25mm pipe which was threaded at the top end to fit an industrial equipment oil plug. The hex-top alignment is marked to make the dipstick sit straight when tight, then welded into a cut-out I made into the reservoir. The dipstick was added into the plug after careful length measuring to match the original depth. A blade was installed on the top of the dipstick into a trench I made for brazing it in.

The top part of the filler tube was removed & the indent filled with auto body filler. No need to disconnect any clutch parts. The gap behind the filler spout is a bit wider than needed, Now filled with weatherstrip, mainly to keep sprocket goo from getting on my boot.

Somewhere in my mind I think there are more photos I need to search for. Maybe more to come.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

fishnbiker

Another method (not my photo) of managing the oil level; inserting a window.
Ken/Fishnbiker

Aeschere

It has been a while since I started this thread. Thanks for the suggestions.

One thing I am looking for is replacing my lights with LED's. I have found this thread: Led's bulbs for steamers but the eBay links are no longer working and the Superbrightleds website doesn't have all the led's anymore and shipping is very expensive.

Do you have any recommendations on where to get led lights in Europe, and which ones to get?

gcloys

Quote from: Aeschere on March 25, 2024, 06:51:38 PMIt has been a while since I started this thread. Thanks for the suggestions.

One thing I am looking for is replacing my lights with LED's. I have found this thread: Led's bulbs for steamers but the eBay links are no longer working and the Superbrightleds website doesn't have all the led's anymore and shipping is very expensive.

Do you have any recommendations on where to get led lights in Europe, and which ones to get?

Buy T5, T10, Brake lights, Turn signals etc. I'm sure any Auto store may have them as well. Someone just posted on the Facebook Steamer page about replacements, "So I'll check but I think I used:
7 x T5 (warning lights plus speedo)
5 x T10 (speedo 1, tacho 2, temp 1, aftermarket clock 1)."
https://www.amazon.nl/s?k=t10+led+12v&crid=25AKWHGB2Y6IJ&sprefix=T10+led%2Caps%2C342&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_10_7