News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Next year already..

Started by Nick Calne, October 23, 2022, 10:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee337

Less than two weeks to go, trial packing done but I think I need to tweek things a little. Looking forward to making good use of my weekend pass.

The downside is I'm finding it difficult to get my leg over.  :bug_eye

Never thought I'd hear myself saying that - maybe it's an age thing  :^_^
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

London_Phil

I assume you stand on the peg to get on?, it was a revelation for me, after years of worrying about the Steamer side stand collapsing..
No issues on the 800, and so much easier.

London_Phil

PS
One thing you may want to consider is a side stand pad of some kind.
Even a cheap one can stop you from keeling over in the grass..

Lee337

Yep  got one of those with a bit of string attached so I can pick it up again.

I've used the peg once or twice but not sure with it fully loaded.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

London_Phil

Quote from: Lee337 on June 10, 2023, 01:52:01 PMYep  got one of those with a bit of string attached so I can pick it up again.

I've used the peg once or twice but not sure with it fully loaded.
I remember arriving at a rally in the wet, and not being able to get off the bike as the sidestand started sinking immediately, and someone had to shove a flattened beer can under it.
After that, I fitted a permanent one..just saying.

ghulst

I often carried a simple piece of wood in the top case. Granted, that does not immediately help you on a soggy patch of grass, but there often is a possibility to park the bike on a harder patch to grab it.
You can really stand on the peg even in loaded condition. They are quite strong, so as long as you are not stuck in the mud you will be fine. That is what I did with mine. (Though I did not pack quite as much as I see on yours.) 
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

London_Phil

It's no good if you can't get off the bike to put it down, without the thing sinking first, hence the  permanent fitted foot thing..

Lee337

Lower it to the ground with said piece of string, move it into position with foot. Seems to work ok. Used this method at the recent MCN festival in Peterborough on grass & a couple of tests on the drive to make sure I could do it. I've even attached a ring to the end of the string to put over the clutch lever.

Not completely foolproof but it should do.

ghulst

Quote from: London_Phil on June 20, 2023, 04:04:55 PMIt's no good if you can't get off the bike to put it down, without the thing sinking first, hence the  permanent fitted foot thing..
Agreed. I once did try one that was permanently fitted, but it also hit the frame, so I went back to my budget piece of wood. ;)
In many cases you are able to park up on a road before entering a festival area or camp site. That usually gave me ample time to grab the piece of wood.

London_Phil

Quote from: Lee337 on June 20, 2023, 06:36:41 PMLower it to the ground with said piece of string, move it into position with foot. Seems to work ok. Used this method at the recent MCN festival in Peterborough on grass & a couple of tests on the drive to make sure I could do it. I've even attached a ring to the end of the string to put over the clutch lever.

Not completely foolproof but it should do.
Underestimate a fool at your peril!!
I'm a little surprised at the reluctance for the big foot on here?!!
Mine doesn't foul the frame, chain or anything else, and  I'm really entertained by the idea that you will be dangling bits of thing on string, that you would then  move the bike over.
Or maybe wait whilst I just pop my sidestand down, and come and help you..lol..

ghulst

Hahahaha, you ought to Phil, because we will probably need it.  :mut

Not sure if it is reluctance or just being plain cheap. ;) I did buy something (which was not a brand Bigfoot thing) but that just didn't fit properly. And so I went back to the piece of wood that has stuck by me from my first Transalp, through the Steamer, the 1150GS, the Tiger 800 and even the 1200GS. In the last case I probably should have raided the Touratech catalog for something, but I didn't. And you are right. The best stand support is the one that is always on there so you don't have to think about it.

Nick Calne

Quote from: ghulst on June 20, 2023, 03:23:16 PMI often carried a simple piece of wood in the top case.

Essentially you made a clog for your bike. How very Dutch! :occasion14
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

London_Phil

Did enjoy watching Lee play Gofish with his magic disk....

ghulst

Quote from: Nick Calne on June 26, 2023, 10:30:47 PMEssentially you made a clog for your bike. How very Dutch! :occasion14
I try to stay culturally relevant...  :rfl

Lee337

Quote from: London_Phil on June 26, 2023, 10:43:30 PMDid enjoy watching Lee play Gofish with his magic disk....

Worked though  :rock-1: