News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger 885i loud exhaust?

Started by McCoy, June 26, 2023, 12:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McCoy

So, as a new Tiger owner (bought a 1997 black tiger 2 weeks ago) I need to ask the forum for some advice...

The bike seems to be super loud. A 80 km ride tends to end up with tinnitus light syndrome.

Drilled out the rivets holding the rear chrome exhaust cover and it seems that the complete silencer is empty? Should it not be filled with glass fibre wool? Construction seems to be welded shut so I cannot open it to repack it. The exhaust "hole" is also larger than what I have compared against on the internet? Standard or modified?

Any suggestions to make my tiger more "ear friendly" on long rides?

Lee337

No direct experience as mine is a 2006 model  but are you certain uts a standard exhaust?

If it looks like one but is that loud it could be a TOR (Triumph Off Road). I had one & the constant drone drove me nuts. I quickly put the standard can back on.

Ended up with a Blueflame exhaust, mire rasp without the drone.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

London_Phil

Welcome over from T800 site. Glad you joined us.

It looks like you may have a carb bike or "Steamer".
Can you confirm with a side view of the bike, as I think you may be confusing models.

There were not many aftermarket exhausts for the "Steamer" bikes, and I think they may be the originals.
They shouldn't be too noisy, but after this amount of time, it's likely the original internal baffles are shot.
We have some experts who will be along shortly with some info.

McCoy

Will post some pics tonight, some update in the meanwhile (bike is stripped of the silencers).

It looks like someone has modified the end cap of the silencers since there is marks of "angle grinder". Does anyone know how the removed part should look like as stock?

Yes, carbs with open air filters (separate topic)

McCoy

Ok, so as promised, some side pictures and also a "rear view". I think previous owner has cut out the last piece of the silencer. Any idea how to replicate it to make it less loud?

London_Phil

Oh yeah, that's going to be loud.
Not sure of your location, but either replacement oem's, that will probably be on the way out anyway, or if your lucky, some aftermarket ones. They are few and far between though..
German seller has a pair of oem
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165986524029
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165986524362

Other options are to make a set of baffles yourself, cut them off and fit some different silencers. I think possibly someone fitted a single sided setup too, but I have no record..

ghulst

I would find replacement cans like Phil just said. They are a bit of a search, but will cure your problems completely and without the fiddling that you need to repack the silencer and then hope it operates properly. I have often seen people pack it too much or in the wrong way, so they would be choking the engine...
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

London_Phil

OP is in Sweden I think, so maybe lucky, as Steamer very popular in Germany and mainland Europe..
I can't remember what make my aftermarket ones were, maybe Sin has a set squirreled away??

McCoy

Yes, located in Sweden. I will probably look into finding a standard baffle (dB killer) or similar on Ebay and retrofit it (not weld it).

Now, I have a new issue and thats overflowing carbs (running too rich on fuel). Will make a new post if I need support.

But for now, thanks for all hints and tips  :icon_biggrin:

Beernard

Gday mate,

Hope all is well in Sweden. By chance, my brother's trotting race horse just went there to race in 3 races. Named "Just Believe". Last, 3rd, 2nd. A big deal here in Oz, given you lot are the world leaders in trotting!
Straight up, the small holes should not be there. Looks like the work of a historic racer! Cover them up and you may have a real cheap fix. Maybe a doughnut-shaped piece of sheet metal, some silicone and some self-tapping screws?
Maybe the "grinder" marks are from the drill chuck that made the holes?
Anyway, a few thoughts from the antipodes. Hope you get a good result, whatever way you go.
Bern.
Ripper, woke up again.