News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Carb service

Started by McCoy, August 23, 2023, 08:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McCoy

Ok, so, after my second cruise with the tiger I realized that it consumes around 1 litre per 10 km (a lot!).

Opened one carb to realize that it is heavily worn.

I have ordered and replaced almost all parts inside, but my question is what nozzle sizes should I go for?

Ones inside when dismounting was 145s (with open air filters), in the replacement kit 100s, and as I have understood, stock is 105s?

I have also ordered a new air filter housing to replace the open air kits to OEM, so everything should be "standard".

Should I order a set of 105s? Whats the recommendation?

McCoy

Ok, some update:

All re-fitted on the tiger with 100s main nozzles and OEM filter. (Who the **** invented the air assembly???)

Pilot screw 1: 1,5 turns out, 2: 1.25 3: 1,5 (as before cleaning/replacement)

It runs... on low rpms. Idling is roughly stable, but it dies on fast throttling.

Any advice? Should I go for larger main nozzles and adjust out pilot screws?

McCoy

Ok.. so.. getting a little bit frustrated here...

Tested with #105's, pilot jets #40, pilots 2 full turns out for all 3 carbs = same result, it "dies" when going up on rpms

Idling is now pretty stable.

Any advice?

London_Phil

Genuine advice from someone who had carb troubles on mine, both with original Mikuni and the later Keihins.
If the bike was left for more than a few day without running, it would start with choke on full, but die when choke pushed in.
They really seem to struggle with blocking jets, and I got fed up trying to strip the carbs.
Making sure you only have 1 snorkel open helps, there were many threads on here about carb issues.
I would need to run between 5-10 miles to clear the carbs, which was very difficult in an urban environment.
Sitting at traffic lights revving at 3K to keep from stalling was not a good look..
This was the main reason I sold mine, and bought an 800xc with FI.

McCoy

Quote from: London_Phil on August 26, 2023, 10:54:18 AMGenuine advice from someone who had carb troubles on mine, both with original Mikuni and the later Keihins.
If the bike was left for more than a few day without running, it would start with choke on full, but die when choke pushed in.
They really seem to struggle with blocking jets, and I got fed up trying to strip the carbs.
Making sure you only have 1 snorkel open helps, there were many threads on here about carb issues.
I would need to run between 5-10 miles to clear the carbs, which was very difficult in an urban environment.
Sitting at traffic lights revving at 3K to keep from stalling was not a good look..
This was the main reason I sold mine, and bought an 800xc with FI.

What do you mean with 1 snorkel? I know that when you fill up with regular 95 octane it has too much biofuel mixed into it so general "advice" is to use Shell V-power 98 octane (which has less biomixture).

I am not planning to sell it... yet  :icon_razz:

London_Phil

gcloys

Quote from: McCoy on August 26, 2023, 12:57:26 PMWhat do you mean with 1 snorkel? I know that when you fill up with regular 95 octane it has too much biofuel mixed into it so general "advice" is to use Shell V-power 98 octane (which has less biomixture).

I am not planning to sell it... yet  :icon_razz:
The left side intake box should have a short snorkel and no cap, the right side should be capped.

Beernard

Gday McCoy,
I, too, have battled with these carbs.
My only input is to clean them scrupulously and follow any words of the legend, Mustang.
Regards, Bern.
Ripper, woke up again.