News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

new member with two questions

Started by haydenvn, September 10, 2023, 08:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haydenvn

Hi. Just bought a nice 96 t400 with only 12000 miles. I have a 73 tiger and a 2022 900 tiger so the family is completed. Two questions please. First ,the tank is perfect, no paint bubbling so how do i keep it that way and secondly, can you fit a Centre stand and if so does anyone have one for sale. I checked under the frame and there does not look like there are any mounting points. LIve on the wirral uk.

gcloys

Quote from: haydenvn on September 10, 2023, 08:12:23 AMHi. Just bought a nice 96 t400 with only 12000 miles. I have a 73 tiger and a 2022 900 tiger so the family is completed. Two questions please. First ,the tank is perfect, no paint bubbling so how do i keep it that way and secondly, can you fit a Centre stand and if so does anyone have one for sale. I checked under the frame and there does not look like there are any mounting points. LIve on the wirral uk.
For tank care try and use non-ethanol fuel and don't park it in the sun. The plastic used on the tanks from many manufacturers of this era absorb water and the tanks swell and can off gas causing bubbling on paint and decals.  Many have used a internal tank coating (Caswell, etc..) to prevent bubbling from happening. Your tank may have been lined already. Liners can fail though and be a real pain to remove. I'm not sure of availability of non-ethanol fuel in the UK.  When I must park in the sun, I usually put my jacket over the tank and dash to keep direct sun off.
  The center stand mounts to the existing lower linkage bolt and the engine mount supports hanging down on either side of the linkage.  I'm not sure if the SW Motek stands are still available or may be special order.  You can scour Ebay etc for used items and have a much better chance being in the UK.  Join the T300 and Steamer Facebook groups for Manuals, parts, and advice.  This site is a great resource and has many long-term owners that can help out but is not as active as the FB pages.  As a start, make sure you still have the chain rubbing block below the chain where the subframe meets the frame. ALWAYS keep a well charged battery, valve in spec, carbs cleaned for easy starting. Always use the choke when cold, pull in clutch lever and keep in neutral when starting to prevent Sprag clutch failure.  If it isn't starting 1st or 2nd push of the button, don't keep spinning as that's just hammering the Sprag.  If the Sprag fails, it is an engine out repair.  Pre 95 models had a hatch on top that simplifies the process.
 Fowlers, Sprint Manufacturing and SquareDeals are good sources for parts but you may find plenty of used stuff in the UK.

haydenvn

thankyou very much the the detailed info. Previous always used super unleaded ad drained the tank if not used for a while.

Madruss

Quote from: gcloys on September 10, 2023, 07:08:32 PMAlways use the choke when cold, pull in clutch lever and keep in neutral when starting to prevent Sprag clutch failure.  If it isn't starting 1st or 2nd push of the button, don't keep spinning as that's just hammering the Sprag.  If the Sprag fails, it is an engine out repair.  Pre 96 models had a hatch on top that simplifies the process.

More information I was unaware of until now.
Forgive me as my bike has been off the road for a couple of years & hopefully returning to the road shortly.
gg
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!

gcloys

Quote from: Madruss on October 29, 2023, 10:28:21 AMMore information I was unaware of until now.
Forgive me as my bike has been off the road for a couple of years & hopefully returning to the road shortly.
gg
Just repeating what I've read here and elsewhere.  After I replaced my sprag in the spring, I'm doing everything I can to prevent doing that job again! I never bothered pulling the clutch lever in, especially in neutral, but anything to make easier on the sprag. 

Madruss

I didn't realise, pre 96 had an opening in the cases for easier starter motor removal. :notworthy
Regards Russ

Madruss

Quote from: gcloys on September 10, 2023, 07:08:32 PMALWAYS keep a well charged battery, valve in spec, carbs cleaned for easy starting. Always use the choke when cold, pull in clutch lever and keep in neutral when starting to prevent Sprag clutch failure.  If it isn't starting 1st or 2nd push of the button, don't keep spinning as that's just hammering the Sprag.  If the Sprag fails, it is an engine out repair.
Very good information
Regards Russ

gcloys

Quote from: Madruss on October 29, 2023, 09:01:11 PMI didn't realise, pre 96 had an opening in the cases for easier starter motor removal. :notworthy
I miss typed this, it pre '95 (actually mid year 94) Sorry about that

Madruss

Regards Russ